Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She didn't give my son his med, now he is having psychosis

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 44 Replies

I am SO pissed off. I just needed to vent

My 11 yr old son has schizophrenia and he takes an anti-depressant in the morning  and and anti-psychotic at bedtime. 

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine invited him to spend a week with her because she had had my other son spend a week with her earlier in the year.

My friend has a special needs daughter who has been on meds her entire life, so I figured that she, of all people, would make sure he got his meds at the proper time.

When my son came home he said that Miss Dawn was mean to him and that she didn't give him his meds like she was supposed to.

He began having suicidal thought and thoughts of wanting to hurt himself. He also started having the auditory hallucinations again.

I called his psychiatrist who said that I needed to figure out how much of his medication he missed because the disruption of his meds could be causing his problems...

So I counted pills and he missed a total of 7 pills...He missed 3 anti-depressants and 4 anti-psychotics.

I had e mailed my friend and asked her about it. She replied that she had given him his meds on schedule....

Today he should have emptied his bottles...I e mailed her the photos of the bottles, with the date they were filled, and the pill quantity and the extra pills....I asked for answers, but I doubt she will respond.

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM
That sucks! :-( I hope he gets back on track quickly!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

He goes back to the psychiatrist on the 10th...We may have to play medication roulette yet again...One reason I am so pissed it that this combination has been working so well. He has been hospitalized 7 times in 2 years trying to get his meds regulated. He hasn't been in the hospital since last January...*sigh* and right here at the holidays, we are having to deal with this...

Quoting MommyLehr:

That sucks! :-( I hope he gets back on track quickly!

DaiTilley
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I am so sorry he's going through that!
She's either lying (bad) or doesn't even realize she messed up (just as bad!).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

In the end, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure he has his meds. It's a shame you will lose your friendship.

tennisgal
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

why cant he just start the same routine again??

(sorry if that's a dumb question).

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

When he is staying with someone for a week, who lives 2 hours away it is THEIR responsibility to see he gets them.

I gave her very detailed instructions on what was to be taken when. Her own daughter takes meds twice a day as well for her problems. 

Now I wonder if her daughter is even getting her meds??

Trust me, he will NOT be staying overnight with anyone other than his dad ever again

Quoting Anonymous:

In the end, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure he has his meds. It's a shame you will lose your friendship.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Are you crazy? When you put your child in someone elses care, it is their responsibility. You can't magically gie a kid medicine when you are not there.

Quoting Anonymous:

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

This is the exact reason I do not let my daughter spend the night at anyone's house when she has to take medication except my moms.  She is allowed to have friends over, but it could be life or death if my daughter does not get her medication.  Not saying you where wrong because you are not.  I just do not trust other people with her medication.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I don't understand it. She has a special needs daughter that also takes morning and night meds...If she didn't give my son his meds, how often has her daughter missed meds??

Quoting DaiTilley:

I am so sorry he's going through that!
She's either lying (bad) or doesn't even realize she messed up (just as bad!).

1likeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM
I would be more than a little pissed. And what did she do that caused him to say she was mean?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)