Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Family and friends asking for financial help.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

I have at least six family members, two neighbors and two friends who are asking me for financial rescue.  I do have a good income, not great, but I can pay all my bills.  I also live way below my means and I live comfortably.  I am also a major budget nerd and I know my balance in my accounts to the penny, in my head.  I go without to make sure that everything does get paid, but I do buy myself the odd fast food dinner or a new dress from the local Goodwill store. 

How do you handle when everyone seems to think you are the bank.  I hate to be mean, even if I have money in my account, it is the balance I need to carry over to next month so I can pay those bills and put some money in savings. 

Help.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
702girly
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I just say no.

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
I don't have that problem, no one knows what I make for a living.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brandyns87
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

The only person I loan money to is my mother. If someone else were to ask me, I would simply tell them no, but they no better than to ask me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM
I say I am not in the position to help.
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

you are not obligated to bail out someone else due to their poor financial choices.  My brother, due to awesome overspending and not finding a job for two years (this was before the economy tanked), would up having his vehicle repossessed, lost his apt. etc....while we had the money at the time to bail him out, he had been bailed out before and learned nothing from it.  These people are all adults I am assuming, sometimes people need to learn hard lessons.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

LOL Just say, "I'm sorry, the bank of YOUR NAME is closed."

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

1 people should never know what you make, what your house payment is, etc. it's no one business

2 just say i'm sorry i don't have it. offer to have them over for meals or tell them about a great sweater u saw when u were at the goodwill

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

just keep saying no eventually they'll give up

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Just say "sorry, I can't help".
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM

We share similar philosophies!  Living below our means and trimming the `fat' is our speciality.  We only loan money to family members for dire emergencies such as impending homelessness, sudden illness and that sort of thing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)