Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

holiday food drives

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm about to start one for people who don't get foodstamps. I think its terrible that to get help one must be of the income level to get welfare. So many families are struggling who make just above the help zone. For example at my kids school, they give backpacks full of food to those families who get foodstamps or tnaf. If you are not on foodstamps or tnaf you don't qualify for the food even if you may need it.

Would you donate to a organization who only helped income levels slightly higher than welfare cutoff limits?

I'm seriously considering starting a charity for this purpose. I don't know where I would even start.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
MrsNewman
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I've always felt the same way. People who are on foodstamps don't need more free food. Give it to the ones who don't get fs but are still struggling to buy food every week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I've thought about this as well. People always seem to need socks and underwear, too. I know if you reeeally needed it, a person would take them used, but honestly, who wants to wear used socks and underwear?

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

They're run by churches, not by the government.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? They are not like that here. I've called. Your income has to be within a certain range.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our food pantries are, "don't ask", facilities, meaning anyone who walks in and asks for help can get it.

Dextons_Mommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I think it's a good idea. Our base always does holiday food drives for needy Air Force families, and I almost always donate to them. Many of those families don't qualify for food stamps yet still need help. In fact, I'd rather help someone who doesn't already get hundreds of dollars a month in assistance.
RLT2
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I would, but it would be hard to "judge" that kind of situation. Would you ask for paystubbs or something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

This is the 2nd time I have heard of those backpacks only going to food stamp/welfare recipients.These schools are doing it wrong.We get those backpacks and we're  not on welfare.IMO,somebody should call the school board and find out who is in charge.In our district,it's the school nurse.So not fair that kids who need it are being screwed by some idiot who isn't following the rules.

funlovinlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I agree, I know so many families that are barely scraping by but can't get any kind of help. It's absolutely ridiculous.

lulumomof2
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

my mother in law's church does a food pantry that i donate to and theirs has no income limit.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

tennisgal
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM

well food pantries arent dependent on food-stamp-status. do you not have any of those in your area??

Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM

That is nice! We give canned goods to the kids school, our church and on post. I would totally donate to your food drive....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN