Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

holiday food drives

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm about to start one for people who don't get foodstamps. I think its terrible that to get help one must be of the income level to get welfare. So many families are struggling who make just above the help zone. For example at my kids school, they give backpacks full of food to those families who get foodstamps or tnaf. If you are not on foodstamps or tnaf you don't qualify for the food even if you may need it.

Would you donate to a organization who only helped income levels slightly higher than welfare cutoff limits?

I'm seriously considering starting a charity for this purpose. I don't know where I would even start.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM
this. just add things like otc meds, first aid stuff, and feminine products.

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yes I would donate. I send stuff to the school food drive, the food bank sometimes, and else where

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

That is a wonderful idea.  With coupons and sales you can often get those things for very cheap if not free/

Quoting Anonymous:

this. just add things like otc meds, first aid stuff, and feminine products.

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

mommykate4
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
yes! I would donate for sure
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM
I have been there...I didn't qualify for help by 9 dollars...it made me try harder but around the holidays a little extra help would have been nice
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM

This is seriously a good idea. But, how are you going to know who those people are?

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

We just donated food to a thanksgiving food drive through my daugther's school

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM
They all require income verification here. At least the ones I've called. Including churches.

Quoting tennisgal:

well food pantries arent dependent on food-stamp-status. do you not have any of those in your area??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Do what the charities here do. Income verification.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is seriously a good idea. But, how are you going to know who those people are?

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yea, its been done.  Churches and Food Pantries and several other organizations do no require to see an EBT card.  Anyone can get help.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)