Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

holiday food drives

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm about to start one for people who don't get foodstamps. I think its terrible that to get help one must be of the income level to get welfare. So many families are struggling who make just above the help zone. For example at my kids school, they give backpacks full of food to those families who get foodstamps or tnaf. If you are not on foodstamps or tnaf you don't qualify for the food even if you may need it.

Would you donate to a organization who only helped income levels slightly higher than welfare cutoff limits?

I'm seriously considering starting a charity for this purpose. I don't know where I would even start.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

its a sweet thought though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM
In the charities defense, they restrict because they want to help the people who need it but can't help everyone so they restrict it to those with less income.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Not here. They require income verification. I've called a few.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Yea, its been done.  Churches and Food Pantries and several other organizations do no require to see an EBT card.  Anyone can get help.  

MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

That's a fantastic idea... we've got food covered but we are ALWAYS running out of TP, toothpaste, tampons, soap, etc ... and there's no kind of help for that around here, which I would expect in a small town, but I live in a big city!

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

kmjmlj
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM
I would because if they are getting fs that's their help right there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I donate to my local food bank all year long. People dont just need help during the holidays. But i have made myself familiar with the local charities, and try to help when i can. We dont have a lot to give, but even stopping by with a few cans of food is better than nothing. Good luck, helping others is so rewarding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

That's the way it is here too.  I have people at work t hat volunteer there and I always ask what they need so I can get it and donate.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our food pantries are, "don't ask", facilities, meaning anyone who walks in and asks for help can get it.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Well I can't tell you what is there, but I will say I find that nearly impossible to believe...Im not calling you a liar, maybe just suggesting that the few you have called are not a good representation of what is available.  Its simply immoral for the church discriminate like that.  As far as food pantries, I certainly believe some of them require a certain level of poor, but all of them?  No way, not even half.  From what I hear of dedicated visitors to such places, they do have caps on it at many food pantries...Like, you are only allowed to go 4x per year, I guess this rule reinforces the fact that it is meant for the desperate and not "frequent shoppers".    

Quoting Anonymous:

Not here. They require income verification. I've called a few.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Yea, its been done.  Churches and Food Pantries and several other organizations do no require to see an EBT card.  Anyone can get help.  

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

That is the one thing that irraties me with most food banks or assistance organizations... you have to have income at the foodstamp level or below, meaning you should not need assistance for food...

our local food bank did change their guidelines a while back and though they still have the income limits, if you get over so much foodstamps per family member, you can only get the fresh produce weekly and recieve from the food pantry once every three months...

I would totally support a food bank that helps the ones that are struggling but not to the point that they qualify for welfare.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Honey, those places are around too...There must be some way for you guys to locate them...Here they are called Bright Horizons, its like a Target for the poverty stricken.  There are many locations, its a chain organization...Of course it isn't something advertised because it is free and they do not require you to be on welfare.  Its one of those things that gets heard of by word of mouth...So, just do some more digging.  The only reason I know of it is bc my Aunt is a frequent shopper and dresses nicer than I do! lol.  My town has only 3,400 people in it.

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

That's a fantastic idea... we've got food covered but we are ALWAYS running out of TP, toothpaste, tampons, soap, etc ... and there's no kind of help for that around here, which I would expect in a small town, but I live in a big city!

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured