Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

holiday food drives

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm about to start one for people who don't get foodstamps. I think its terrible that to get help one must be of the income level to get welfare. So many families are struggling who make just above the help zone. For example at my kids school, they give backpacks full of food to those families who get foodstamps or tnaf. If you are not on foodstamps or tnaf you don't qualify for the food even if you may need it.

Would you donate to a organization who only helped income levels slightly higher than welfare cutoff limits?

I'm seriously considering starting a charity for this purpose. I don't know where I would even start.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

a lot of times, even though the food banks are ran by an independant or church, they get funding or buying power from the government that requires the income levels and income verifications...

Quoting Dzyre1115:

They're run by churches, not by the government.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? They are not like that here. I've called. Your income has to be within a certain range.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our food pantries are, "don't ask", facilities, meaning anyone who walks in and asks for help can get it.

Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Yes!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMom8215
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I've found places that help with the bigger things like diapers, clothes, even furniture, but nothing for the basics yet. I'm glad to know they're out there, though.. I'll keep looking!

Quoting Matriarch87:

Honey, those places are around too...There must be some way for you guys to locate them...Here they are called Bright Horizons, its like a Target for the poverty stricken.  There are many locations, its a chain organization...Of course it isn't something advertised because it is free and they do not require you to be on welfare.  Its one of those things that gets heard of by word of mouth...So, just do some more digging.  The only reason I know of it is bc my Aunt is a frequent shopper and dresses nicer than I do! lol.  My town has only 3,400 people in it.

Quoting MajorsMom8215:

That's a fantastic idea... we've got food covered but we are ALWAYS running out of TP, toothpaste, tampons, soap, etc ... and there's no kind of help for that around here, which I would expect in a small town, but I live in a big city!

Quoting 1lv2stks3nlz4ev:

I want to start a Non-Food bank. For things like toilet paper, shampoo, cleaning supplies, dish soap, tooth brushes, pet supplies ect. Most times people have access to food supplies through a food bank or church or charity but can't get these things. And dang it... TP is EXPENSIVE!

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

My church doesn't do that.  They collect food and hand it out once a month.  Whoever walks in the doors and asks for help .. they get help!!

IMO it shouldn't depend on income.  Some people just fall on hard times.  Things happen and they NEED help too!

My church also distributes turkey dinners around the holidays.  This includes outside people in the community.  Like elderly who are home bound and disabled people.  ANYONE who needs it.  You don't have to go there to get help.  It's a community out reach program which they have many different events during the year geared toward that.  

kathislove80
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Ours as well.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Our food pantries are, "don't ask", facilities, meaning anyone who walks in and asks for help can get it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Babushka Blockparty on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

How does one prove that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? They are not like that here. I've called. Your income has to be within a certain range.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

slightlyperfect

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Quoting tennisgal:

well food pantries arent dependent on food-stamp-status. do you not have any of those in your area??

I'm pretty sure the food banks in my area are based on income. I never had to use one but the people that I know who did, had to show some kind of proof of income. I don't think you could just walk in there and get stuff. The reason why I say that is because a couple of years ago, a friend of mine was going to be out of town on the day they were supposed to pick up their stuff from the pantry, and asked me to pick it up for her. She called the food bank and let them know I was coming in her place, and wrote a note for me to give them, stating her permission for me to pick it up. I didn't go pick it up though; I forget why. She might have changed her mind, I don't remember.

emandab
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I think that is a great idea!  My local food pantry serves everyone.  For the last year we have been in a really tight financial bind and have used the pantry frequently.  We more then qualify for fs but I refuse to do it.  I love that I can go to the pantry for help, help that was provided by charities and individuals that were charitable (yes I know the federal goverment does felp fund pantries, I don't know if this one is or not).  It has helped us out so much and am very thankful for the donatations and volunteers.  I have even vlolunteered there myself to try and give back. 

mich.el.le
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

No, I wouldn't. I would donate to a charity that helped ANYone in need though, welfare qualifiers and not.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

tennisgal
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Our local food pantry just requires recipients to sign in, nothing else. but you can only go once/month. the big food pantry in the next town over, I'm so sure more strict, but I dont know what those guidelines are, if any. 

I think it's a wonderful idea, but I have no idea where you might start. Do you live in a low-income area?? Any ideas on fund raising stuff??

Quoting Anonymous:

They all require income verification here. At least the ones I've called. Including churches.

Quoting tennisgal:

well food pantries arent dependent on food-stamp-status. do you not have any of those in your area??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)