Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
The gas alarm going off saying there was a gas leak.

I tear out of bed, run to the other end of the house to open windows, only to find my 6 year old quietly playing wit her playmobils, in a room that smells like a nasty fart.

Evidently, my daughter set the gas alarm off by farting.

Ugh. I need coffee now!!!

The gas company sent someone out to check ad brought the fire department.
I didn't actually get the windows open and the gas company told me that it was entirely possibly that a really bad fart could set a sensitive alarm off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Replies (11-18):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Never open your windows. When the fire department comes out to check for gas leak they won't be able to get a reading so when they leave your house could go kaboom.

There was a fire a couple towns over. A guy smelled gas, opened his windows and the fire department showed up. Couldn't get a proper reading (said no gas) they closed the windows but the gas didn't build up very quick so still no reading and they left. Guy later on went out to the mailbox and boom went the house. Smell gas? Get out of the house and call 911 immediately. Better safe than sorry
edelweiss23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Scary!!!

Quoting mariesmama:

i woke up to somebody trying to break in we called 911 cops showed up in 5 minutes then i heard handcuffs the cops left without talking to us

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM

http://www.njng.com/safety/smell_gas.asp

edelweiss23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Thanks for the info!
I didn't actually get the windows open(I was running in to do it). I grabbed the kids, went over to my neighbors.
I called my dad, and the gas company who brought the fire department.
No gas was detected and I was told that exasue farts are essentially methane gas, it could have triggered a sensitive alarm.

Quoting Anonymous:

Never open your windows. When the fire department comes out to check for gas leak they won't be able to get a reading so when they leave your house could go kaboom.

There was a fire a couple towns over. A guy smelled gas, opened his windows and the fire department showed up. Couldn't get a proper reading (said no gas) they closed the windows but the gas didn't build up very quick so still no reading and they left. Guy later on went out to the mailbox and boom went the house. Smell gas? Get out of the house and call 911 immediately. Better safe than sorry

edelweiss23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Bump
katilyn544
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM
Haha i would have died! LAUGHING!!!!! :D
edelweiss23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Bump
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Farts, body sprays, cooking, lysol..a lot of things can set off an alarm if they hit just ritght.  Still, always better safe than sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)