Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some witch made me cry while out shopping...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I couldn't punch her in the face, being an adult and all, so I just gathered up my kids and went to the car, where I cried the whole way home. Here is the story....

I have a son who has high-functioning autism. One of his "meltdown triggers" is loud noises. The store we were in is generally pretty quiet, but for some reason the PA system was cranked really loud. Every time they would announce something, my son would stop and plug his ears. At one point, he stopped to plug his ears while this cranky bitch was trying to push her way past us.

She stops, looks at me, looks at my FIVE YEAR OLD son and says, "Your mother didn't teach you very good manners. MOVE!" Then looks back at me, "Well, are you going to move him?!?" I said, "I am trying, and your tone is not helping". She says, "I am not the one who can't control a child!"

I was in shock...really? Are you in such a hurry that you can't wait two seconds to pass us in the tiny aisle? It is not lke I was intentionally blocking her...the aisles are tiny. My kid is freaking out. I am doing my best to get him aside. Have some fucking patience.

Don't know why I cried. Maybe because it gets so hard when people are so self-absorbed. Maybe because I was already having a bad day. Maybe because I am just sick of peoples' bullshit. If one cannot handle being around, and having respect for, other people, they should just stay the fuck home.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Then you're a bitch.

::shrug::
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

no one cares what she is going threw. They are there to shop, not deal with her kid drama.
t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Loud sounds also make my ds freak out. I probably would have said something about her manners.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mortiferouslatt
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Well, what she said was pretty ignorant since she obviously lacks manners herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BShip2010
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I would have told her what was up and I wouldn't have been very nice about it. I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I'm sorry mama. People suck.

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure if you were just unable to find different wording or if you actually believe this but an autistic child doesn't "act out" they have reactions. Like if you get stabbed for being stupid your going to scream out in pain because thats a REACTION to a situation that is caused. As is a loud noise for those who are sensory sensitive to noises. This was his REACTION not a tantrum to a situation he didn't like this isn't behavioral this is out of his control its hurting his ears just like a dagger would hurt your chest. It causes PAIN. 

Grrr. I hate when people act like this shit is preventable! Its not. You can't walk into a store and ask the store to make no announcements while your there. You can't stop your life because others think your kid should stay home 24/7 because they have more sensitive reactions. Shit still has to get done. Life still needs to be lived but a little more fucking compassion and empathy in this world wouldn't kill ANYONE!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well considering Autism is not a disorder that can be seen, I am sure the lady did not realize he had issues. She could have been having a bad day, and from the sounds of it, she was probably in a hurry. She didn't have a right to spew those words to you or your son, but you can't blame her for not knowing better. Your son probably looks like an out of control spoiled brat to those who witness his behavior. 

And you can't tell people to stay the fuck at home if they can't handle your child, you should leave your child at home if he can't handle being in public places! FYI your son is not the only one with autism. I know many kids on the spectrum! And those parents take precautions to keep their kids from acting out. 

babynurse454
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Im so sorry that happened! I've been in airports where children have acted up and the parents very politely explaided about there child having autism, everyone in the waiting area was very understanding. Yet some people are just rude and ignorant!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I guess it is too bad for them that my kid has just as much right to be there as their rude asses.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM
I know everyone has been bashing you but I don't know if you answered this but do you actually have an Autistic child yourself? I don't care about your friends. As a mother of an autistic child it's really hard to keep an Autistic child from acting out for a long period of time they're attention span is very short.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well considering Autism is not a disorder that can be seen, I am sure the lady did not realize he had issues. She could have been having a bad day, and from the sounds of it, she was probably in a hurry. She didn't have a right to spew those words to you or your son, but you can't blame her for not knowing better. Your son probably looks like an out of control spoiled brat to those who witness his behavior. 

And you can't tell people to stay the fuck at home if they can't handle your child, you should leave your child at home if he can't handle being in public places! FYI your son is not the only one with autism. I know many kids on the spectrum! And those parents take precautions to keep their kids from acting out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)