Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thanksgiving Suggestions Help!!! Teen Related!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Help! There's going to be a mass of teenagers that are going to be spending most of the day with us on Thanksgiving. They're a bit on the destructive/rough side of things. They tend to wresle a lot and the last time they were here several of my son's toys (he's 7) went missing or were broken. I would like to avoid this big time but I need suggestions of what to do with the pre-teens/teens. I don't want them to destory my house and while talking to their parents is an option they don't tend to listen to them anyways so thats a waste. 

Please if you know how to keep pre-teens/teens busy I could really use some suggestions for the day. They'll be here around 6-8 hours and my house is kinda my favorite thing. I want it to look the same way at the end of the day as it does when they walk in! 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
areyouatroll
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM
They wouldn't be coming to my house. Keep them out of the bedrooms and tell them to go outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

hook up a wii to one tv, an xbox to another, and a ps3 to a third.  provide plenty of controllers, soda, chips, and adult supervision casually glancing in every now and then.

cryssi_renee
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I would put away anything I didn't want stolen or ruined. Find games for them to play. Board games or google some holiday games. Get movies they might want to watch. Preteens and teens are old enough to know how to act in someone's home. I would tell them if they can't act their age they can sit on the couch and stare at the wall.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Make a list of house rules and post them on the wall.
Tell them these are our house rules, everyone follows them or they get a time out. Your home, your rules.
If they want to rough house, they can, only outside.
Maybe plan some outside activities like a game of football or soccer before dinner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Clear out a garage, pad the walls, give them boxing gloves, and tell them to come get help only if someone is bleeding out or unconscious for more than five minutes? Just kidding.

Put away the things you want to keep, lock that room, post rules and consequences for breaking rules.

If you live in an area where they can be outside, give them a football, soccer ball, or set up a net and a volleyball.

vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Hide your 7yr olds toys.

Set up a gaming system for them ... find an air hockey table? Pool table?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM

well first you need to lose your unrealistic expectations... second, you need to make your son's room off limits... third, set up one room they can hang out in with games and a tv... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM

LOL. I laugh only because if I even consider the words "time out" they're parents will laugh at me. I was considering the idea of throwing them outside but its supposed to be in the 40's and for 4th of july I had a hell of a time keeping them outside (where they could be adult supervised) I doubt I'll be able to get them to go outside. Grrr. 

2 of them I have no problem telling them where to go because they're my husbands blood neice and nephew 1 is scared of me and the other highly respects me so thats not an issue. But the other 3 were married into the family and they're mother is very sensitive about how they are treated by our family because they should 'feel welcome'. Even my BIL has a hard time even talking to them without getting his head bit off for being 'mean' course he's the one who will be here bright and early though. Grr. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Make a list of house rules and post them on the wall.
Tell them these are our house rules, everyone follows them or they get a time out. Your home, your rules.
If they want to rough house, they can, only outside.
Maybe plan some outside activities like a game of football or soccer before dinner.

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Got a football?

Got a yard?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I was planning on that. 

The game system...yeah we just bought it like a month ago. I'm terrified of them breaking it. Grr. Maybe I'll have BIL bring his PS3. That way if they break anything it won't be ours.

Quoting vwd_johnson:

Hide your 7yr olds toys.

Set up a gaming system for them ... find an air hockey table? Pool table?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN