Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you save these children?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM
  • 76 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you raise a family members child/children to keep them from ending up in "The System"?

Options:

If yes, why?

If no, why?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 120

View Results

I was reading another post and it got me to thinking. If your adult children could not or would not raise their kids, would you step in and raise them? I know people who could have kept their grandchildren from going into state custody, but wouldn't.I also know people who are raising grandchildren, now. I'm not judging, in any way. I know what I would do but I'm curious about why some people will and some won't.

* I'm not saying a child that goes into the system needs saving, I'm just needed a title and it worked.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM
6 moms liked this

I wouldn't do it to keep them out of the system, I would do it because it's the right thing to do.

LamiavitaDivina
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
I have done that in the past, mainly because I love my dh nephews!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are very young, so it's hard for me to imagine being a grandma. However, I think would not hesitate to take my grandchild in my house and raise him/her.

twisted_charlie
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Yes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Yes because I love my family.
SevenKisses
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I would take them, yes. I have considered taking my sisters for awhile. I am sure she won't end up keeping them forever.

Lizardannie1966

In a heartbeat I would.

They would be a part of us--my husband and myself--and family. For whatever reason my children might have, if they needed us to step in, we would.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

no because i am only 34 and already disabled and also have a dd that is severely autistic and moderately mentally handicapped. I can't deal with any more on my plate now and my ds is only 5 by the time he could have kids I'm sure the situation will be much worse. :( 

katzmeow726
3 moms liked this

yes.  If my grandchildren were at risk of being placed in foster care, I'd file for emergency custody, and raise them myself.  They are my grandbabies...I could NEVER willingly let them go in to foster care.

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I know I will raise my children better than that. But in the off chance that they end up deadbeat parents or just really couldn't raise their children, then Yes I would take my grandbabies in and give them a life they are deserved. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)