Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you save these children?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you raise a family members child/children to keep them from ending up in "The System"?

Options:

If yes, why?

If no, why?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 120

View Results

I was reading another post and it got me to thinking. If your adult children could not or would not raise their kids, would you step in and raise them? I know people who could have kept their grandchildren from going into state custody, but wouldn't.I also know people who are raising grandchildren, now. I'm not judging, in any way. I know what I would do but I'm curious about why some people will and some won't.

* I'm not saying a child that goes into the system needs saving, I'm just needed a title and it worked.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
MamaTasha08
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Most likely, yes.  I was willing to take my sister's sons to get them out of foster care.  Their grandparents stepped up and took them, though.

I would not just raise someone else's kids though.  I would adopt them so I could keep them.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I adopted two children from the foster care system so yes I would take in and adopt any child that needed a home from any of my extended family. Not because they would need to be SAVED though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiriis
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Without a second thought. I was raised by my grandparents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fallenstars
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I have taken my cousins dd. She had 5 kids and unfortunately they had to be split up amongst the family but we did it so they wouldn't end up in foster. I was only 19 and she was 4 at the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crashly
by Ashley on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Yep. My grandma did it for me when I was two weeks old. She then did it again with my brother when he was 3. Then another of my brothers when he was 2, this brother went back to t mom when he was 5. My mother only raised one of her four children without my grandma stepping in to do the right thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I wouldn't. If they are grown enough to have sex, they are grown up enough to fix their own mistakes (in any way they see fit). They can either abort, or they have NINE months to hunt down a great family to adopt to. It's not my job to raise anyone's kids. I have enough on my plate as it is.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Yes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I've done it twice now
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Depends on the kids, horrid I know. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

So many factors.  How old am I?  How many kids?  Are the kids in need of special help?  What is my health like?  What is my husbands health like? Do I still have younger sibs at home?  

I would like to think we would try but I really can't say...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN