Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you save these children?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you raise a family members child/children to keep them from ending up in "The System"?

Options:

If yes, why?

If no, why?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 120

View Results

I was reading another post and it got me to thinking. If your adult children could not or would not raise their kids, would you step in and raise them? I know people who could have kept their grandchildren from going into state custody, but wouldn't.I also know people who are raising grandchildren, now. I'm not judging, in any way. I know what I would do but I'm curious about why some people will and some won't.

* I'm not saying a child that goes into the system needs saving, I'm just needed a title and it worked.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (51-60):
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I would in a heart beat.

I have a sister who is pregnant and due in Feb. I honestly doubt she will raise that child. I have already told her if it gets to be too much to bring him to me before it gets to the point that she abuses or abandons him.

She understands why I feel like I do. And she agreed that if she gets to that point she wil bring him to me.

I hope and pray that she will get her life straight and be a good mom to her lil boy. However I know (as does she) that she is bipolar and refuses to get help for it. She will go great for a little while then her whole world collapses

tnt1014
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM
I am currently raising 2 of my god daughter's (my cousins children)

They have been with us for 16 months now. It was suposed to be temporary but she has yet to get her act together enough to get them back. They were with us on weekends anyway so a few more days a week isn't much difference. I could not allow them to go to strangers when I am capable of caring for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattooedMomto4
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I would because they are my family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeannie39
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I'm very happy to see so many people who are willing to step up and do the right thing. Sadly, like I said in the OP, I have seem grandparents who just didn't care enough to help their grandkids. I can't judge anyone who wouldn't do it. It is a personal choice and one that must be made with all the options looked at. Its not my place, anyways. I helped with my nephew from age 8 until 12, when he moved in with me and my family. I look at him as one of my children. His children will be my grandchildren. I never thought twice about raising him. It wasn't always easy, making decisions for someone else's child or knowing his parents could technically come anytime and take him away, but it was worth it. My other children call him their brother and treat him as one. My youngest daughter is closer to him than the other kids because they still live in the same home. He is 20 and she is almost 2. I feel he has been a blessing to my family and to be completely honest, it makes me feel good, knowing I helped him when he needed it. I know all my kids would do the same thing. When I had my youngest, all three older kids volunteer to raise her if anything ever happens to me or dh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM
I'm going to be a bitch here, but no. Not family. I am completely estranged from my family. They want nothing to do with me and I them. I honestly don't even know who in my family has kids and who doesn't. Idk if my sister ever married the guy she was dating forever...

mitikusmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

If my grandchildren, or even my nieces & nephews, needed me, I would do it.  No way would I turn away family unless I was physically unable to care for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I guess to actually answer the question lol. When I am a grandparent, yes I would take my grandchildren. My oldest is 7 though...so that's a while away

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm going to be a bitch here, but no. Not family. I am completely estranged from my family. They want nothing to do with me and I them. I honestly don't even know who in my family has kids and who doesn't. Idk if my sister ever married the guy she was dating forever...

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Without a doubt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveVenus
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I sure would take them in.That is family.The way i grew up,you are always there for each other no matter what.

702girly
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

At this point, no.

I've already done it once. I'm glad I did it but I'm not willing to take on the responsibility of any more children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured