Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ill admit, Im jealous

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
of moms that have babies that sstn. DS is 8 months and he still hardley sleeps all night. He is also a very light sleeper and doesnt yet self soothe. The only way to get him back to sleep is a bottle. He isnt under weight and the night time feedings are no longer necessary but nothing else works. Not even a binkie. His pediatrician recommended CIO. But I dont want to let him cry it out. What other ways can I help him learn to self soothe and fall back asleep without a bottle? Even just patting his back doesnt work.
I know not all babies are the same, and ds is still an amazing little boy. I was blessed with a healthy happy son but he is not a sleeper. It sure had taken a tole on me. Momma is sleepy.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

My girlfiends daughter is a crummy sleeper at 7 months. I feel bad for you guys. I got lucky, my son has been a great sleeper since 3 months old. But we do have rough nights if he isnt feeling well, i dont know how you guys do it. I would just keep letting him know you are there, but also be consistant with naps and bedtime. Good luck!

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Try giving him some oatmeal before bedtime. You may have also be keeping the house too quiet while he's sleeping. Children who grow up in somewhat noisy environments sleep much sounder.
LectioDivina
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I don't know... my 23 month old still wakes up twice a night

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Thanks! DH helps on his days off as much as he can, but he does work 60 hours a week, so sometimes he is pretty difficult to wake up lol. My biggest concern with him waking up is his pediatrician said he was gaining to much weight. His weight gain has slowed down some and he isnt a giant baby, but she made me feel guilty I guess.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It is completely normal to wake and eat at 8 months old. Soon enough he will be sleeping all night. Try to rest as much as you can and since you're using formula, make sure you take advantage of the help of your husband or partner if you're not single.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

How much does he weigh?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks! DH helps on his days off as much as he can, but he does work 60 hours a week, so sometimes he is pretty difficult to wake up lol. My biggest concern with him waking up is his pediatrician said he was gaining to much weight. His weight gain has slowed down some and he isnt a giant baby, but she made me feel guilty I guess.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It is completely normal to wake and eat at 8 months old. Soon enough he will be sleeping all night. Try to rest as much as you can and since you're using formula, make sure you take advantage of the help of your husband or partner if you're not single.

marihla
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Sometimes it takes year to teach them to sleep through the night. Good luck! My two month old has just been a natural night sleeper. Sometimes they really are just born that way. BUT she doesn't nap at all during the day, her last daytime nap was when she was four weeks. So I'd trade a daily nap for an extra wake during the night.

nathans_mom407
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
No help for you here other than support. My first two boys were the same way. They sleep great now though. My daughter is 2 months and sleeps all night. I feel like I earned this. Lol.

Do you co-sleep? That helped us tremendously.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
He is 22 lbs now. He is large but he is also long. And both DH and I were larger babies, so I really wasnt that concerned untill his doc said something.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

How much does he weigh?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Byrd15
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I had this problem too. My son is 18 months old and is just now getting to sleep through the nigh and self sooth, but its very off and on. Give it a little time. :) Coffee and soda were my best friends for a few months there. Nap when he naps too! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I wouldn't even try it before about a year or two. I know it's hard right now but it won't last forever. Many babies just take a little bit longer to get on a sleep schedule that works for the whole family.

CIO might not do any lasting harm, but you don't have to do it if you're not comfortable with it. However, if you get desperate, look into the kinder and gentler versions of CIO. They might be a bit more palatable for you. For instance, letting him cry for a few minutes, then going in and patting his back (but not taking him out of the crib) to soothe him. I think it depends on why he is getting up in the night.

For instance... is he sleeping too much during the day? Is he waking for night feedings? Is he just one of those babies that only sleeps for short stretches? Etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks! I really dont want to, but at the same time Im running out of ideas. And him getting more sleep with benefit us all. Maybe we will give it a try.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

DS was the same way until he was almost two. It finally did take a modified CIO to get him to sleep through the night. I just couldn't stomach doing that before even a year old. Hang in there mama. It'll get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)