Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ill admit, Im jealous

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
of moms that have babies that sstn. DS is 8 months and he still hardley sleeps all night. He is also a very light sleeper and doesnt yet self soothe. The only way to get him back to sleep is a bottle. He isnt under weight and the night time feedings are no longer necessary but nothing else works. Not even a binkie. His pediatrician recommended CIO. But I dont want to let him cry it out. What other ways can I help him learn to self soothe and fall back asleep without a bottle? Even just patting his back doesnt work.
I know not all babies are the same, and ds is still an amazing little boy. I was blessed with a healthy happy son but he is not a sleeper. It sure had taken a tole on me. Momma is sleepy.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Replies (21-29):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM
We room share for now untill we are able to move. He starts out in his crib everynight. On the nights where he is waking up lots, he ends up in our bed. I know it isnt good to keep doing that, but some nights I cant possibly sit up in the rocking chair with him. I get scared ill fall asleep and drop him, lol. I dont really care for bedsharing but some nights its the best I can do.

Quoting nathans_mom407:

No help for you here other than support. My first two boys were the same way. They sleep great now though. My daughter is 2 months and sleeps all night. I feel like I earned this. Lol.

Do you co-sleep? That helped us tremendously.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

That is on the bigger side but definitely not over weight.

Quoting Anonymous:

He is 22 lbs now. He is large but he is also long. And both DH and I were larger babies, so I really wasnt that concerned untill his doc said something.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

How much does he weigh?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks! DH helps on his days off as much as he can, but he does work 60 hours a week, so sometimes he is pretty difficult to wake up lol. My biggest concern with him waking up is his pediatrician said he was gaining to much weight. His weight gain has slowed down some and he isnt a giant baby, but she made me feel guilty I guess.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It is completely normal to wake and eat at 8 months old. Soon enough he will be sleeping all night. Try to rest as much as you can and since you're using formula, make sure you take advantage of the help of your husband or partner if you're not single.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

mine is 15 months and she still wakes up on occasion

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM
No idea... I have a 3 year old who still wakes every 2 hours for a drink.

I am one tired momma!
Schleetle
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM
My daughter didn't STTN until she was over a year old. I'd rub her back, pacifier, comfort item, rock her, or feed her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

There is a book called The No Cry Sleep Solution.

Please don't let your baby CIO. It's normal for infants to wake, it really is. You will be harming him physiologically if you do that. Many studies show that CIO kills brain cells and causes a lot of stress.

Personally, my daughter just slept with me and I breastfed so I never had to fully wake (or sometimes wake at all) to feed her.

That worked for us. Please find a gentle solution for you. Check out that book or other articles online that involve encouraging sleep without CIO. Can someone else wake with him during the night? Something else so that you can get rest without harming your child.

nathans_mom407
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Sleep vs no sleep

We co-sleep for the first 15-20 months and it works for us. Everyone gets a full night of sleep. Baby falls asleep in our bed, move her to the bassinet, and when she wakes up she returns to our bed. Unless you take drugs, drink, or are on some type of medication that makes you sleep to soundly she is safer bed sharing than you falling asleep while rocking her. It's not forever. DS1 and 2 slept great in their own beds since they were 2.

Hope you get some sleep momma!
brightonsmom12
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Defiantly not lol my ds was 22 pounds at six months, his doctor really wasn't concerned. He is only 23 pounds now at 11 months lol. 

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

That is on the bigger side but definitely not over weight.

Quoting Anonymous:

He is 22 lbs now. He is large but he is also long. And both DH and I were larger babies, so I really wasnt that concerned untill his doc said something.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

How much does he weigh?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks! DH helps on his days off as much as he can, but he does work 60 hours a week, so sometimes he is pretty difficult to wake up lol. My biggest concern with him waking up is his pediatrician said he was gaining to much weight. His weight gain has slowed down some and he isnt a giant baby, but she made me feel guilty I guess.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It is completely normal to wake and eat at 8 months old. Soon enough he will be sleeping all night. Try to rest as much as you can and since you're using formula, make sure you take advantage of the help of your husband or partner if you're not single.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

it's all about consistency.  the longer you wait and the more hooked they are on sleep associations, the worse it is for them and you.  you have to remember:  your baby is the one who is going through sleep deprivation as are you... and chronic bad sleep is way worse than a little crying for a few nights. 

you can research different methods; many prefer the check and console. whatever you choose to do, make sure you're consistent.  baby will NOT learn in 2 days; it's more like a week or so.  but you can't give up and then try something else because he will not "get it" after a night or two.  you must keep on doing it for at least a week and do the same thing every time.

my dd was a terrible sleeper; we did check and console and it worked beautifully after 3 nights.  she's now a wonderful sleeper, a happy, healthy child and despite what people say on here, it doesn't cause any rift or neglect or any of that bullshit you hear. 

"hardly sleeping at night" isn't a baby who wakes to eat; those babies usually will wake, eat and then go back to sleep.  that sounds more like he's overtired and has trouble falling and staying asleep.  yes, young babies do wake to eat but those who stay up and can't go back to sleep are usually overtired from lack of proper sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)