Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tablets and small kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
I had been planning on buying my 3yo ds a kindle fire for christmas. He loves playing games on the ipad. He loves books and reading, so I thought the kindle would be perfect for interactive books for him. We could also get the games he loves on it. However, now I'm second guessing it. Does my 3 year old really need a kindle? Would he really use it that often? I think that is my biggest concern, that I will spend the money for it to sit around collecting dust. So, if you have a young child with a tablet, do they use it often? What types of games/books do they have? Do you feel it's worth it, overall?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Naeem got a 7in dell tablet last Christmas.  He was 4 at the time.  It's definitely not a dust collector around here!  Lol.  He loves that thing.  And I finally got my tablet back!  He's been very good with it too :)  Then again, he's usually very good about taking care of his stuff!  He plays "fun" games like angry birds and other games..  can't think of the names off the top of my head.  But during the summer we dl'd a bunch of educational games since he was going into K.  Games that is teaching him how to write his letters, learning to read, etc.  He still plays those games :)  He also watches videos and movies on it. I over all think this investment was worth it.   Yes there are other kiddy versions of tablets but with this is kinda grows with him!  

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
My nephew is 3 and has had the iPad since he was one. It unfortunately does not collect dust... Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM
I don't think a 3yr old is responsible enough for something like that
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm getting my 3&6 year olds nabi tablets for Christmas. They are perfect kid tablets.
Like the Google nexus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywright88
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I share my Nook with my son and he ALWAYS has it lol. He is two.

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I got my kids the Nabi 2 tablets. Those are made specifically for kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I think so? My niece is 6 and just got an iPad of her own. Has all the learning apps and what not. She loves it. She's been playing with everyone elses since she was 2-3 and was very good with them. Never broke them or was rough with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM
That is one of the reasons I am second guessing it. However, we would closely monitor him with it. It would not be a toy that he could drag around with him. It would be put up and we would have to get it for him. That is how we are with the ipad, and he is great with it. I think on the other hand, it teaches him responsibility.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think a 3yr old is responsible enough for something like that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I think those are about the same price as the kindle fire. Have you played with them at all? I read reviews on some of the kid friendly tablets a couple months ago. It seemed like a lot of them got bad reviews for being slow. I can't remember if this is one of them though. Do you know if there are a lot of apps available for it? Especially books? That is why I had decided on the kindle, because I thought we could get more books. I'm open to other ones too though!

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

I got my kids the Nabi 2 tablets. Those are made specifically for kids.

luvmymunchkins3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM
my 5 and 3yr old love their ipads they play with them at least everyday and watch movies and stuff on them.best money i ever spent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN