Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tablets and small kids

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had been planning on buying my 3yo ds a kindle fire for christmas. He loves playing games on the ipad. He loves books and reading, so I thought the kindle would be perfect for interactive books for him. We could also get the games he loves on it. However, now I'm second guessing it. Does my 3 year old really need a kindle? Would he really use it that often? I think that is my biggest concern, that I will spend the money for it to sit around collecting dust. So, if you have a young child with a tablet, do they use it often? What types of games/books do they have? Do you feel it's worth it, overall?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Livin.the.Dream
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up the nabi2 I highly recommend it. My daughter has one and it's pretty awesome
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM
My 4 year old has had her iPad since she was 2.5 and she loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymunchkins3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM
maybe your 3yr old but not every child is the same my 3yr old has an ipad and he is very good with it he has had it since last christmas

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think a 3yr old is responsible enough for something like that

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM
They are fantastic! There are tons of apps available as you can get them all from google play and an amazon account. They are $199 each but are going on sale for $129 on Black Friday.
I have fiddled with them a bit and I really like them. You can get the kindle app for the Nabi 2 tablets and get all the same downloads as you can on a nook.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think those are about the same price as the kindle fire. Have you played with them at all? I read reviews on some of the kid friendly tablets a couple months ago. It seemed like a lot of them got bad reviews for being slow. I can't remember if this is one of them though. Do you know if there are a lot of apps available for it? Especially books? That is why I had decided on the kindle, because I thought we could get more books. I'm open to other ones too though!

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

I got my kids the Nabi 2 tablets. Those are made specifically for kids.

emandab
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM

My 3 and 4 yr old dds love playing with my tablet.  They ask all the time to use it.  We thought about getting them tablets (dh found a really good one that is on sale for $99 and for a day it was on sale for $79).   If the price goes back down to $79 we will probably get at least one.  There are so many educational games for them to play that I don't see it as being a bad thing for them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Where will they be on sale?

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

They are fantastic! There are tons of apps available as you can get them all from google play and an amazon account. They are $199 each but are going on sale for $129 on Black Friday.

I have fiddled with them a bit and I really like them. You can get the kindle app for the Nabi 2 tablets and get all the same downloads as you can on a nook.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think those are about the same price as the kindle fire. Have you played with them at all? I read reviews on some of the kid friendly tablets a couple months ago. It seemed like a lot of them got bad reviews for being slow. I can't remember if this is one of them though. Do you know if there are a lot of apps available for it? Especially books? That is why I had decided on the kindle, because I thought we could get more books. I'm open to other ones too though!

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
That seems to be pretty popular...off to google!

Quoting Livin.the.Dream:

Look up the nabi2 I highly recommend it. My daughter has one and it's pretty awesome

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Walmart. Sorry! I should've added that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where will they be on sale?

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AVSpecWife4:

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

my dd is 4 and likes the tablet.  we have an android (galaxy tab) and she watches her shows or plays educational games on it.  she also plays fun games like baking games etc.  the zoodles app is great for kids witih all sorts of games that are paid and free.

we are getting dd her own tablet - a nexus 7 that is coming this week (her christmas gift).  however, dd knows that electronics are a privilege, not a RIGHT,  so when she's been good or does good things/make good decisions, she can play with it before dinner.  our rules are:  no tablet before bedtime, no tablet at the table, no tablet when people are over or we go to someone's house.  if she's watching or playing with the tablet and i call her for dinner, if she's silly and starts whining about not wanting to eat and playing with the tablet instead, it gets taken away for 3 days and she can't play with it at all. 

i think teaching kids about technology is a good thing and i want my dd to be technically savvy but there must be rules around electronics.  dd knows what the rules are and before i let her play with it, i tell her up front that when it's dinner time, i don't want to hear any silliness about coming to the table or the tablet is gone for 3 days. 

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:10 PM
My 3 year old has an iPad. He uses it often. It helps him learn. And he is very responsible with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured