Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Surviving the holidays with in-laws

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So how do you survive the holidays with the in-laws?

Now I love my in-laws, I have always got along with them. However, just recently my SIL blew up (for NO reason) at my son's birthday party. She yelled, screamed, cursed, made this huge scene. I let DH handle it and she left shortly after. I have never felt so hurt and betrayed. She refuses to admit she did anything wrong. Since she will not apologize she is not welcome in our home. I am more than willing to forgive if she can give my husband and I an honest face to face apology, but she won't do it.

Anyway we are going to DH's grandparents house for Thanksgiving. The kids and I will be riding up with MIL on Wednesday and DH won't be up there until Friday night after work (it's about a 4 hour drive). Anyway I am dreading being stuck in a tiny house for several days with my narcissistic SIL and no husband for support. SIL has turned into an evil, evil person in the past week. I have no trust for her and she is doing everything she can to spite me. I have done nothing because whatever happens from here on out, I want my hands to be completely clean on any wrong doing. I want to wait until Friday and just go up with DH, but he thinks I should just go with MIL.

Idk what to do. WWYD? Or what do you do when it comes to nasty family?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Replies (11-18):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I am going to my Sil and Bil home for Christmas. At my Mil's request. My mil and sil do not get along well, and my bil can be an ass. The sil and mil are my husband's sister and mother, bil is married to sil. My sil has taken the role of tamping down every emotion and placating her husband when he gets all pms-like. I will be taking my cues from her and trying to not lose my marbles in the two days, three nights we will be there. 

My advice would be hold your tongue snd don't let the bullshit get to you.

That's what I have been doing. For a long time honestly. I have always ignored her immaturity. I'm just sick of the recent tantrums, I'm done being nice, when you are too nice you get walked all over. So I won't be rude but I'm not her friend either. So far my plan is so ignore her completely.

D.O.E.
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

yip....dh can take the kids over to his parents for the evening.....but i sure as fuck won't be going :)

D.O.E.
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

curious, why did the "temper tantrum" start in the first place? i lost my shit on ALL my inlaws last easter, but i had a damned good reason to. what was hers?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am going to my Sil and Bil home for Christmas. At my Mil's request. My mil and sil do not get along well, and my bil can be an ass. The sil and mil are my husband's sister and mother, bil is married to sil. My sil has taken the role of tamping down every emotion and placating her husband when he gets all pms-like. I will be taking my cues from her and trying to not lose my marbles in the two days, three nights we will be there. 

That's what I have been doing. For a long time honestly. I have always ignored her immaturity. I'm just sick of the recent tantrums, I'm done being nice, when you are too nice you get walked all over. So I won't be rude but I'm not her friend either. So far my plan is so ignore her completely.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Alcohol. Lots of alcohol!
MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I think you already know that it would be best to wait for your hubby.  Why would you want to put yourself in a position with his family that could possibly turn out bad without your hubby there for support/defense?  Good luck and hopefully things will turn out good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I really do not know what set her off. I just know she came to  my sons party with a bad attitude, but I ignored it since I had so much to do with all the kids. She made rude remarks every time she went by me, she was out to start a fight imo. When the last guest family left was when she started yelling and screaming. She even looked right at me and said that my friend (my best/only friend) kids were "little shit heads." Which of course was not true, honestly my kids are a heck of a lot naughtier than my friends. Anyway, I don't know why she was so pissy, but like I said I truly believe she came to my house looking for someone to take the brunt of her anger, and she chose me andused my friends kids as an excuse. If that all makes sense. She had nothing to complain about, I was entertaining the kids (her 3 kids too, one of which is a baby that got into everything) and never once complained because they were all doing good.

But I have had problems with her in the past. I honestly believe she is just a narssistic brat. I've bent over backwards to try and NOT piss her off. No more. I'm done with being walked over by her.

Quoting D.O.E.:

curious, why did the "temper tantrum" start in the first place? i lost my shit on ALL my inlaws last easter, but i had a damned good reason to. what was hers?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

I think you already know that it would be best to wait for your hubby.  Why would you want to put yourself in a position with his family that could possibly turn out bad without your hubby there for support/defense?  Good luck and hopefully things will turn out good.

The only reason I have not said hell no to leaving Wednesday, is because DH thinks I should just go then. I've tried to talk to him but he doesn't understand. I don't want drama and the less time she is in the same place as me, the less likely she will start something. I just wish my DH could see that. Ill talk to him again tonight though, maybe I can make it more clear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Quoting Melissa_4:

Alcohol. Lots of alcohol!

Maybe I should just bring a bottle of Vodka with me! That would keep a BIG smile on my face! haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)