Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

True Or False?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: True or False?

Options:

True

False

Other/Explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

Do you think this statement is true or false? Why or why not?

Omnipotent gods and free will is an oxymoron...If he knows all the decisions we are going to make before we make them (and therefore consequences and outcomes as well) then it completely negates the 'free' part...either he's not omnipotent, or he is sadistic and lets people be born knowing they will be condemned for all eternity for the decisions he already knows that they will make...

free will

noun

Definition of FREE WILL

: voluntary choice or decision <I do this of my own free will>
: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I don't believe that "unworthy" people burn in hell for eternity, so I don't know. I believe that there's a God, that He is omnipotent, and that He gave us all free will. I believe that Satan wanted to force people into believing and God chose instead to let people choose. So yes, I think He knows what choice we will make, but He allows us the choice never-the-less. I don't believe that a God who loves ALL of His creations would purposely torture any of them in hellfire for eternity though, even if they choose not to follow His word or believe. But that's just me, I'm all about everyone choosing their own path. This means that I will NOT fight with anyone telling me that I'm a crappy Christian while spewing hate. So if my reply offends anyone, keep your beliefs to yourself and I'll keep mine. I simply answered the post.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM

So you believe that we have the illusion of choice and free will? Are you ok with that?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't believe that "unworthy" people burn in hell for eternity, so I don't know. I believe that there's a God, that He is omnipotent, and that He gave us all free will. I believe that Satan wanted to force people into believing and God chose instead to let people choose. So yes, I think He knows what choice we will make, but He allows us the choice never-the-less. I don't believe that a God who loves ALL of His creations would purposely torture any of them in hellfire for eternity though, even if they choose not to follow His word or believe. But that's just me, I'm all about everyone choosing their own path. This means that I will NOT fight with anyone telling me that I'm a crappy Christian while spewing hate. So if my reply offends anyone, keep your beliefs to yourself and I'll keep mine. I simply answered the post.

Robsessed98
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I am definitely a Christian and truly believe we all have free will. That being said, I have often asked the same question of others and have yet to find anyone who can explain how that works. Years ago I decided that since the Bible states many times that we have free will, it is therefore true. So now instead of trying to wrap my head around it, I place my faith in the fact and leave that question in the same category as all the others that have no answer, so stop thinking about it and just accept thats how it is, such as: "how can there be no beginning and no end" and "how can God just exist, didnt someone or something have to create Him" and the real big unanswerable question, " how can 2 socks go in the dryer and only 1 come out"?? Some questions simply do not have answers we can comprehend as humans, therefore the answer is trust in your faith.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM

how about, I have no fucking clue! lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe that we are given a choice instead of being forced into believing, yes. It's the fact that God already knows our choice that bothers you but it doesn't me.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So you believe that we have the illusion of choice and free will? Are you ok with that?

Quoting Anonymous:

brittany208
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because He knows what choice we will make doesnt mean He is MAKING us make the choice.

For example: Our family had pictures taken awhile back. In the morning, MIL brought up the topic of what we would wear. I said "I'm wearing what I have on now, DH will wear his maroon shirt. I haven't picked it out for him, I just know its what he will pick for some reason". DH was still sleeping when we had this conversation. When I got home, he got dressed on his own... in his maroon shirt. I literally laughed out loud bc I was right! and this is a shirt he hardly ever wears.

anyways... point is, my knowing what he would pick had no bearing at all on what he would actually pick. i didn't give my two cents at all until after the fact.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

While I believe that God in Omnipotent..... I don't believe He controls every little aspect of life.... He may or may not lay out the opportunity, but it OUR decision to control the decision we make!  If He laid it all out for us, there would be no way to glorify Him..... the glory comes from us CHOOSING to honor Him.  But He does see what's happening......and only controls certain aspects.......  IMO

brittany208
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I literally laughed out loud reading this! I agree that we have to just accept some things on faith. I wouldn't WANT a God that is explanable with human understanding.

Quoting Robsessed98:

I am definitely a Christian and truly believe we all have free will. That being said, I have often asked the same question of others and have yet to find anyone who can explain how that works. Years ago I decided that since the Bible states many times that we have free will, it is therefore true. So now instead of trying to wrap my head around it, I place my faith in the fact and leave that question in the same category as all the others that have no answer, so stop thinking about it and just accept thats how it is, such as: "how can there be no beginning and no end" and "how can God just exist, didnt someone or something have to create Him" and the real big unanswerable question, " how can 2 socks go in the dryer and only 1 come out"?? Some questions simply do not have answers we can comprehend as humans, therefore the answer is trust in your faith.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Reading other posts makes me wonder: Do you think that God is like a supreme puppet master, controlling everything and every person 24/7? If yes, I can definitely see why you'd feel the way that you do. I believe that everything/one was made and left to be. I think He hears our prayers, can send comforting feelings through His Spirit, but I ultimately think that we're left to do our own thing. I think we're left to make our own choices with our own lives and I don't think God is up there purposely causing disasters etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured