Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

it might have been dishonest. but, do you think i did anything morally Wrong?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

this summer i was in the market for a new car.   i researched.  talked to a few dealerships and got their offers  (with the exact car i wanted,  using my credit scores to determine the exact terms of the deal - so i could get the best deal.)    when i was finally ready to buy the car,   i was babysitting our neighbor,  checked with her mom and she was fine with me bringing her dd to the car dealership.    neighbor girl is the same age as my son and they are super close,  great friends.    so i brought ds (7) and his bff (also 7) with me to the car dealership.  

At the dealership,  they ASSumed the kids were twins.   They both are blond and tan in the summer,  one has green eyes /the other has blue.   they possibly Could be twins but clearly - my neighbor doesnt call me "mom"  she calls me by my first name.   I did not tell them they were twins but when they referred to the kids as "the twins"  i just laughed.    i ended up getting a super deal on the car.   better than what i expected because i insisted on the terms we agreed to on the phone and they had obviously messed with some numbers (inflating the profit no doubt.)    also while we are there,  they ask about your career,  etc to make small talk,  i did highlight how i teach and babysit to make more money in the summer but i do ok.    when i was leaving,  they give me this big congratulations talk about how well i raise my childREN.   how they behave so well and i "have it all together."   someone even said under their breathe - thats one of th reasons why the manager gave me the deal i got.          

so was it wrong in any way - to NOT correct them - to not highlight that the kids werent both mine and they werent twins?   (btw i have tried to be a mom 3 times,   one mc,  my son who is 7,   and my youngest died when he was one month old)     so i think its kinda messed up that i Wouldnt have gotten the same deal - if they thought i only had one well behaved child instead of well beahved twins....

what do you think?  

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Yeah its dishonest, but its not like it affected anyone's life negatively so I dont see the big deal.  :)

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell, if it got you a better deal than who cares! LOL. I don't see anything wrong with it!

mom2hadley
by Heather on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see anything wrong with it :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Eh, I dont see the issue... When my sister is here, I consider her and my son as twins. They Are only 2 months apart, and the story is way too long for a stranger to care about... My mom did the same when she had both
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

i mean - IF i did rip anyone off.   its a car dealership.   and its the deal they GAVE me because they Thought i was a super mom.    but i am a super mom.   they would just fail to recognise it because two of my children went to heaven.   

yayay15
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No. And I doubt they really that great of a deal. They want to make money and don't care if you have twins or not. THEY are the dishonest ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvschocolate
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

No it's not dishonest.  you have no obligation to tell a stranger details about your personal life, it was small talk.  I take othe kids places with me too, and if someone compliments me on my kids I just smile and say thanks.You were   well prepared  anyways, any extra little discount. you got , was because tne salesperson like you, nothing more. You can't prove that you got it because of tne kids, but even if you did, so what.  Deals are made with different people every day, that's the name of the  game. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh I hate when people spell assumed in that way..lol
Other than that, having worked at a dealership they want to give warm fuzzies until you're out the door so you don't change your mind.
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. They rip people off every day. They will not starve because you got a good deal :) 

Quoting AmaliaD:

i mean - IF i did rip anyone off.   its a car dealership.   and its the deal they GAVE me because they Thought i was a super mom.    but i am a super mom.   they would just fail to recognise it because two of my children went to heaven.   

LuvUSoMuch
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Lord you are as bad as me worrying over every little thing! No - you did nothing wrong and they probably made loads of money off of you anyway. Do not worry about it!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)