Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should a 3 year old know their letters?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter turned 3 on may 28th. She can count to 15, sing her ABC,s, knows her colors and shapes and can write her name but she just can't remember her letters besides the ones in her name. Is that normal? Should she know all her letters by now?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I do not. That's why I'm panicking for next fall when she starts pre-k.

Quoting BShip2010:

Do you send your DD to preschool?  I put mine in preschool in the class with kids who were already 3 (she was 2, turned 3 in September) and she keeps up.  Maybe try that!

Quoting Anonymous:

Little Einstein you have there!

Quoting BShip2010:

Mine knew her letters and could recognize them at 18 months.  She now, at 3, counts to 15 in English and 8 in Spanish, knows colors and shapes and writes some letters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

She's fine. When DS went to K they were just starting to teach the letters to all the kids. They did one letter a week.

Mami2oneboy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Some do some dont, all kids are different
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

She is fine

1boy1girlmama
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Totally normal. My son didn't know all his letters until he was 5 (and it's not because I didn't try! He didn't care he just wanted to play to hell with letters!!) however my daughter is 3 and knows them all and the sounds. Unlike my son she loves letters/books ect.  It just depends on the kids. She will learn them when she is ready.

PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Oh, gotcha! Every little one is different. Just work on it with her. Get her letter puzzles or flash cards or even make fun ones at home. Thats what me and Lil Mr did recently we made our own flash cards where he got to pick the word for each letter. He had alot of fun and it helped him remember.

Quoting Anonymous:

She sings the abc song. But if I have an "H" and ask what letter it is she doesn't know.

Quoting PeaceLoveZ:

She can sing them but not say them? I don't understand that.
I too have a 3yo, (he turned 3 in August) and we are working on our ABC's... He can remember up to K. We are just starting on LMNO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM
I thought kids were expected to know all letters BY kindergarten not learn them in kindergarten. That makes me feel better!

Quoting Anonymous:

She's fine. When DS went to K they were just starting to teach the letters to all the kids. They did one letter a week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My 2.5 year old DD can do all of those things and can recognize all of the letters and tell me what sound they each make. 

My son, on the other hand, didn't know all of his letters until he was about 4.5 years old.  He just didn't care .... couldn't be bothered to waste time that could be spent with cars, trucks and trains.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Relax a bit. Really.

Knowing their letters, shapes, and numbers indicates awesome parroting skills - not necessarily a future Einstein; nor does an otherwise bright, alert, happy 3 year old who knows none of the aforementioned things indicate a child who will struggle.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do not. That's why I'm panicking for next fall when she starts pre-k.

Quoting BShip2010:

Do you send your DD to preschool?  I put mine in preschool in the class with kids who were already 3 (she was 2, turned 3 in September) and she keeps up.  Maybe try that!

Quoting Anonymous:

Little Einstein you have there!

Quoting BShip2010:

Mine knew her letters and could recognize them at 18 months.  She now, at 3, counts to 15 in English and 8 in Spanish, knows colors and shapes and writes some letters.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

check out Starfall.com

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought kids were expected to know all letters BY kindergarten not learn them in kindergarten. That makes me feel better!

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN