Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should a 3 year old know their letters?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter turned 3 on may 28th. She can count to 15, sing her ABC,s, knows her colors and shapes and can write her name but she just can't remember her letters besides the ones in her name. Is that normal? Should she know all her letters by now?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Replies (41-49):
spizzarks1978
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

kids love magnets, plus it lets her be in the same room as you when ur cooking or washing dishes.  My DD loves to be in the same room as me, no matter what i'm doing.  It will get her out from under your feet yet make her feel included to be in the room with you.  LeapFrog makes a cute set that talks to the child and says the letter when pressed into the dog house.  My brother has this for his kids and my DD still plays with them, she will be 6 in 2 months

Quoting Anonymous:

Good ideas!

Quoting spizzarks1978:

If it's not a daily exercise then i can understand why she can sing a song but not recognize.  My suggestion would be get some of those foam letters for the tub.  Every time she picks one up tell her what it is.  Stick them to the wall in the correct order and sing the ABC's while pointing at the correct letter.  My DD had those from day 1, we actually had to get her a new set because the first set got old and she would chew on them lol.  I think that's why she was able to recognize the letters at such an early age.  Read her ABC books and always point at the letter.  I bet she will catch on quickly. At that age they are little sponges and love love love to learn new things.  or you could get the magnets, just remember you will have to tell her which ones are which for a while before she does it herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Hey my birthday day is may 28th! Lol

My dd know all the letters in the alphabet and she is 3 but also going to be 4 soon
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM
My 5yr old was behind this year starting kindergarten but we had no idea why until recently. he is dyslexic (sp) but is now starting to catch up to his class. it pounds as though you are a couple steps ahead imo
bbyslynn
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Some kids barely know that by kindergarten....she's fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I disagree. With the way the education system is going in this country, which is down the drain, children need to have all the advantages they can possibly have, before entering into the school system, which means in my opinion that a child should know their letters, shapes, colors and at least up to 20 by the time they enter pre-k or K. Anything else in my opinion is setting them at a great disadvantage. At 3, kids are like a sponge and they soak up everything around them, learning letters is not a difficult concept and easy enough for a 3 year old to know. At that point it is simple recognition which any 3 year old should be able to do and process.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's no true in the slightest.

Quoting MsRkg:

She should defintiely know all of her letters by 3.

mommyames2
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Do not compare your child to others. Every child learns differently and at their own pace.

I think she's fine. My daughter is crazy smart. She has bypassed the yearly set goals for kindergarten in 6 weeks. My son is more average. He's right on track. He's in preschool. He can reconize and write all his letters.

Each week his class learns a new letter. She will not be behind. Don't worry! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Every child is different.

When I noticed mine struggling, I got lots of fun alphabet-ceneterd storybooks from the library.  He loved "Into the A, B, Sea!", and there's always Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  That really helped him, and we did letter projects: I would draw a block-form letter and let him color it, and I would tell him it was an A, or T, or whatever.  He is four now, and he knows his alphabet.

And yes, sing the annoying song, lol.

Velany
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM

YES! best tool EVER! This is what my kids use right now in school and it has helped quite a bit grantd DS alrdy knew everything BEFORE kindergarten but it stil helped him :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

check out Starfall.com

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought kids were expected to know all letters BY kindergarten not learn them in kindergarten. That makes me feel better!

Quoting Anonymous:

She's fine. When DS went to K they were just starting to teach the letters to all the kids. They did one letter a week.

Proud World Of Warcraft Player..Realm: Bloodhoof 
 Qüinn(90) Valerïe(87) Sníx(90)Loserlikeme(85) Kaøs(85)Klaine(85) Fäithfully(55) Therelin(85) 

ReachtotheStars
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Sounds normal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)