Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I invited my MIL to my homebirth...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And said she was "going to come anyways."

Why do people not think it is a big deal to invite someone to their birth whether it be out of hospital, in hospital or a birth center? Why do people just "expect" to be invited. It is an EXTREMELY intimate and EXTREMELY life changing experience to give birth rather it be c-section or vaginal.No matter how many times you give birth.

This is my second birth and she may not even make it since she lives 2,000 miles away.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It is kinda weird she just expects it. You know, like she gets trump because she is my MIL. I don't want to be treated like a science project.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Wow that is weird of her.

Anyone who expects to be in the delivery room with DH and me is nuts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I am afraid she is just going to do it no matter what. I am so afraid of her stalling out my labor.

Quoting deviljrswifey:

Yea i know..that is rude. My MIL got so pissed when i said she wasnt allowed in the room when i was giving birth. Just me and my hubby. But i needed a c-section anyways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

My MIL flipped out over not being told I was in labour so that she could come to the hospital. I didn't want anyone there. Especially not her. I was stressed enough.

Yogamom08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Yeah, that would definitely weird me out.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is kinda weird she just expects it. You know, like she gets trump because she is my MIL. I don't want to be treated like a science project.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I am just hoping I go either late, or right before she comes so she misses it. I wanted her to be here in town, and her around my son but in the house with her. I didn't want her to be a support at all. I wanted her to be a wall flower but I know she won't be.

Quoting Anonymous:

My MIL flipped out over not being told I was in labour so that she could come to the hospital. I didn't want anyone there. Especially not her. I was stressed enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Yeah, when we were in Florida with her [my son and I] we went on vacation and she was talking about how a family friend was a having a homebirth and she expressed the "weirdness" and "freaked" out about it. She said it was not OK to have one due to the fact when an emergency arises. Shortly after, I became pregnant.  If she insists on being there, in the room, we are certainly going to have some rules. Don't talk, don't ask questions. Just watch. Make sure you are UNKNOWN to me.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Yogamom08:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM

When I was in labor with my first child, of course my husband was there, my parents came (which I was fine with), but then my MIL & FIL  AND my husband's aunt & UNCLE and their son (a 3 yr old), like seriously, in labor with the worse contractions (epidural failed on me) and I have them all in there, talking...wondering when I'd have the baby... I seriously felt like I had an audience, all the chairs in my L&D room were lined up like it was show.  So, after that, my mom and dh were the only people allowed in the room.  I ended up having 3 c-sections, but the first two I labored.

Yogamom08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Based on that, I would be worried that she expects to be there so she can control the situation. No thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, when we were in Florida with her [my son and I] we went on vacation and she was talking about how a family friend was a having a homebirth and she expressed the "weirdness" and "freaked" out about it. She said it was not OK to have one due to the fact when an emergency arises. Shortly after, I became pregnant.  If she insists on being there, in the room, we are certainly going to have some rules. Don't talk, don't ask questions. Just watch. Make sure you are UNKNOWN to me.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Yogamom08:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

My fil expected to see me give birth at our home birth. Even after we said no he headed over as soon as we called. Luckily he got stuck in traffic and showed up right as I started pushing and hubby kept him out of the room.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Cuz some r crazy? Haha no sorry don't know what to tell you. My MIL invited herself after knowing that I didn't want anybody but hubby in the room claiming it's the American thing to do.....

Quoting Anonymous:

And said she was "going to come anyways."

Why do people not think it is a big deal to invite someone to their birth whether it be out of hospital, in hospital or a birth center? Why do people just "expect" to be invited. It is an EXTREMELY intimate and EXTREMELY life changing experience to give birth rather it be c-section or vaginal.No matter how many times you give birth.

This is my second birth and she may not even make it since she lives 2,000 miles away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)