Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need lice advice please!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
I am ready to have a complete breakdown right now. Last week my little sister gave my family lice. Long story short, we went to visit her last weekend, a day later I found live lice in my 21 month old's hair, already knew if he had it, we all did. Found out later from my mom that my little sister had it. So I've been treating and cleaning like crazy ever since. I am so so sad that I had to shave my precious little guy's beautiful hair, but I had no choice, he wouldn't sit still long enough for me to give him a proper combing and even after treating with the shampoo, I found live lice and eggs in his hair. So now that he had no hair, I could see all of the eggs on his head and combing is easier on him. I have treated myself with rid, I also have left olive oil soak on my head for 24 hours, after that I do intense combing, after combing I blow dry my whole head and scalp, after that I flat iron my hair. I did the same thing to my DF who has long hair. Then we wash all things in hot water and dry high, and we bought spray for the house. Not only did we do all of that but we also cut our hair shorter to help.

Can anyone tell me if I am doin this right? We've done this routine for a whole week (olive oil everyday for the first 3 days) I am not sure when I can tell if these bastards are all gone. I've been combing and these last 2 days, I've seen nothing , but its hard to tell because I am treating myself. My DF has no idea how to properly comb/check for nits/lice because he's never had them until now, so I can't really trust his judgement :( I feel so alone . I've been checking everyone's head like a mad women but I have no one to check mine. I have to just leave it to chance and hope I am properly treating myself because I have no family it friends around who would be willing to help me. We spent all of our extra money on treatments and combs and I am desperate. I am an emotional wreck and I just break down into tears every time I see my sons shaved head and I feel so bad for him. He screamed with pain the first time we combed out his hair:( I need help please
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

It sounds like you're doing everything right to me.  Make sure you do the follow-up treatment on your hair, just to be safe.  Lice sucks!

casah4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Oh, and if you can afford to, just ditch the pillows and buy all new ones!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM
We did that too . I just hope they're all gone and we don't get any on the new pillows

Quoting casah4:

Oh, and if you can afford to, just ditch the pillows and buy all new ones!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Do u think I should stick with rid for the flow up treatment? It didn't seem too effective the first time :/

Quoting casah4:

It sounds like you're doing everything right to me.  Make sure you do the follow-up treatment on your hair, just to be safe.  Lice sucks!

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Metal nit comb.

Comb, comb, comb.

Blow dry your hair till it is BONE DRY.  (this is important because it BAKES the eggs that have not yet hatched)

Ten drops Tea Tree Oil in your shampoo or conditioner.

Comb again in two weeks. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what we've been doing for the past week...I'd like to buy "nit free terminator" comb , but I don't know where they sell it. Other than that I've been using a metal comb by rid that came in the kit.

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Metal nit comb.

Comb, comb, comb.

Blow dry your hair till it is BONE DRY.  (this is important because it BAKES the eggs that have not yet hatched)

Ten drops Tea Tree Oil in your shampoo or conditioner.

Comb again in two weeks. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
treystiredmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

use vinegar in your hair to help loosed the eggs from your scalp.  Also use non-conditioning shampoo since conditioners help to protect the eggs.  also add some cocomut to your olive oil treatments.  they should be done every other day for 14 days to really get rid of everything

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Sounds good!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Olive oil and coconut oil Everyday?

Quoting treystiredmommy:

use vinegar in your hair to help loosed the eggs from your scalp.  Also use non-conditioning shampoo since conditioners help to protect the eggs.  also add some cocomut to your olive oil treatments.  they should be done every other day for 14 days to really get rid of everything

Mommy980106
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Don't forget to treat the car seats if they're upholstery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN