Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SO - mutilation - did you educate youself?

I think rather than pointing fingers and making accusations we should be educating each other in a civil way.  

So I ask, did you circ or not circ your boy, and why?

If you feel it isnt my business and do not wish to share your knowledge move on, dont post anything at all.  

I have 2 boys intact.  Their daddy was and still is upset his mother took something from him for no reason that he cant get back.  She knew it wasnt medically needed amd they are an atheist family.  

My husband then educated me on circ.  

Added: if his mother had left him intact and he had wanted to be circed the procedure for an adult is really no big deal.

Added.  Upset, and angry do not mean hate, resentment, or disrespect.  My husband is a mamas boy.  He loves her very much but her decision upset him.  He felt this way as soon as he learned as a child getting the sex talk.

Added. This is a spin off post of the original post mutilation.  I thought we could share info from both sides in a civil way here. 

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Replies (281-285):
ginger813
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I was completely on the fence about it after doing a little bit of research. I don't think I would have cared either way, so I let dh make the decision. Our son is circumcised. I do have to say though, that for about a week after it was done, I felt like the WORST mother in the world. My poor baby cried every time I changed him, so I know it had to have been sore:(  I felt terrible!

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

"Okay, I'm against it for spiritual reasons because I believe it's an insult to God to cut off a part of the body that she designed so beautifully and perfectly. Obviously I know that not everyone feels the same way, which is why I would never advocate for it to be banned. But I am opposed to it even though I did extensive research."

Interesting idea, considering the beginnings of circumcision are based on the belief that G-d commanded the foreskin to be removed. It is believed that the foreskin was never meant to be there, as Adam was created without one. The physical foreskin appeared as the physical manifestation of the spiritual blockage that resulted from his transgression. In Hebrew, the word "orlah" means both foreskin and barrier or obstacle. So for spiritual reasons, I believe G-d gave us the task to perfect ourselves by removing that obstacle to closeness to Him that wasn't meant to be there.
Now... Neither of us can prove our view right, so we have to respect the views of others and the actions that result from those views.
And again, your personal spiritual belief really doesn't give you a right to tell another person that what they're doing is wrong and they shouldn't do it. My personal spiritual belief is that eating pork is wrong, I don't go around telling those who love bacon that they shouldn't do it. My personal beliefs apply to ME, and I can't be against something simply because of my spiritual beliefs.

Sharon

The beginnings of circumcision are of no interest to me, since I do not believe in the religion that claimed God commanded it.  You ARE against something becuase of your spiritual beliefs, you just don't go telling people what they should and shouldn't do.  Doesnt' change the fact that you think it's wrong.  I think circumcision is wrong, and I don't think others should do it, but I'm not going to say that there should be a law against it because that would infringe upon our freedom of choice. 

If you can't be against something that you think is wrong because of spiritual beliefs, what CAN you be against?

ReachtotheStars
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I personally understand why Jewish individuals still circ.  

I do not understand why other Christians do and say it is religious.  John 3:16 

God had his son die to forgive our sins.  There is then after that no reason to take what God has given you at birth.  

I am not saying I am against they doing it for religious reasons, just saying I do not understand.  

I also do not at all even begin to fathom how a pagan/wiccan could do it.  But then I just might not be understanding something.  

I am personally a humanist, and I personally feel it is wrong for me to make this choice for my children.  After hearing what my husband has to say and what I have researched.  In the end I am sure my husband would have left me if I decided to have his boys cut, but I didn't and wouldn't have after I learned more.  

Had he not mentioned it I would have likely not gotten it done anyway because our insurance doesn't cover it and it is pretty expensive for it to be not necessary medically.  

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM
"The beginnings of circumcision are of no interest to me, since I do not believe in the religion that claimed God commanded it. You ARE against something becuase of your spiritual beliefs, you just don't go telling people what they should and shouldn't do"

Oh, I completely agree with you. But you're the one saying others shouldn't do it..,

Sharon
brittany.dcd
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM
My son is not circumcised. My SO was very against it. He isn't circumcised as well and neither are any of the males in his family. I still decided to do my own research and I'm glad we didn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN