Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

so embarrassing, I can't believe I assumed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies
2 moms liked this
A few months ago I met a mom through my moms group. Its a Christian moms group, but open to moms of all faiths. This mom and I hit it off and today I invited her to attend mass with me. She looks at me odd like and says I hope you're not trying to convert me. I said I wasn't. She said you know Im muslim right? I said no. I just assumed she was Christian. But it makes sense. She was always asking religious questions that any Christian would know. But I thought it was because she's not from here. Anyway, im going to Juma? with her on Friday and she's coming to mass with me on Sunday. Im kinda looking forward to worshipping with her, but a bit nervous too. What can I expect? Should I buy a hijab to show respect?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadsW
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM
5 moms liked this
No clue, said the Buddhist. Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM
6 moms liked this
Ask her :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Just ask her.  Very cool of you both.  One of my best friends was married to a Muslim for a few years and he refused to attend mass with her.  

Toxic.Stardust
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I don't know when/where you wear hajibs, but if you need one she probably has one you can borrow
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM
4 moms liked this
I will ask her about the hijab, cause I also wouldnt know where to get one near us. But I don't want to come off, idk, ignorant with some of my questions about what to expect.

I believe that we should be able to be friends and share our special celebrations with each other. I just can't believe in all this time I never realized she was muslim. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Just ask her.  Very cool of you both.  One of my best friends was married to a Muslim for a few years and he refused to attend mass with her.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I can't imagine me ever making that choice, so I can't help you.  I can also assure you that I would never wear a hijab.

ABeautifulQadar
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Thats kind of weird that she didnt tell you LOL I am Muslim and yes I suggest wearing a hijab out of respect.I dont wear hijab everyday but I do when I go to mosque. It doesnt have to be overwhelming a simple scarf draped over the head is ok and most mosques have them for you to use. I converted and was really nervous too when I first went! The men and women are separated men pray in front and women in the back. This way men are not looking at us inappropiatly when we all pray. Are you just going to observe or participate in prayer?

pregnant

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I would love to buy one to keep, a nice pretty one with the pretty pin. I didn't realize I could just observe. I think that would be weird, i would love to participate. Are there certain prayers I should know? Will it be in English or Arabic? I know there are certain prayers we say in Latin, sorry if im asking a ton of questions.

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Thats kind of weird that she didnt tell you LOL I am Muslim and yes I suggest wearing a hijab out of respect.I dont wear hijab everyday but I do when I go to mosque. It doesnt have to be overwhelming a simple scarf draped over the head is ok and most mosques have them for you to use. I converted and was really nervous too when I first went! The men and women are separated men pray in front and women in the back. This way men are not looking at us inappropiatly when we all pray. Are you just going to observe or participate in prayer?

NiceMom06
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM
yes , you need one and you can't wear short anything. You must be covered.Like no tank top or short sleeves.
My sister and kids are muslims, I have gone with them a couple of times.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Its pretty cold here, so that shouldnt be a problem lol. Are jeans and a turtle neck ok?

Quoting NiceMom06:

yes , you need one and you can't wear short anything. You must be covered.Like no tank top or short sleeves.

My sister and kids are muslims, I have gone with them a couple of times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)