Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We're pregnant and going to talk to a lawyer to get child support lowered.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 382 Replies
4 moms liked this
My husband pays 3000 a month in child support and his ex refuses to work. She lives off the 3000 and bitches that she doesn't have enough money to support 2 children on ONLY 3000 a month.

Well we just found out we are pregnant and in our state we can ask to have child support lowered and under the circumstances we are going to do just that.

We are going to wait until the first trimester is over before speaking with his lawyer but we are going to try to get it lowered.

I'm sure there will be some here who don't feel cs should be lowered but under these circumstances I think they should. We should not be supporting HER. While child support is supposed to help her with bills like PART of the house note and other bills we shouldn't be solely supporting her and the kids. The children are half hers and she should have to contribute financially to them as well, it shouldn't be solely up to us.

------edit to answer questions-------
The kids are 10 and 12 and are not special needs. They are normal children

She has a degree but choses not to work. She can work, nothing is stopping her.

We have the kids 50% of the time and he did talk to his lawyer about going for custody but we live in a state that is very mother friendly and the lawyer told him that there is a slim chance he would win custody of the kids.

Im well aware the judge may not lower child support but that will not stop us from consulting a lawyer and weighing our options.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinkerbelle18
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I agree with you and I'd be doing the same thing if I were in your situation. Best of luck and congratulations on your baby!

BEXi
by BEXi on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
5 moms liked this

Jesus christ.. what does your SO do?

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Same here. What does your SO do and how old are the kids?

Quoting tinkerbelle18:

I agree with you and I'd be doing the same thing if I were in your situation. Best of luck and congratulations on your baby!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM
He works in the oil industry, he pays 25% of his income in child support.

Quoting BEXi:

Jesus christ.. what does your SO do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM
The kids are 10 and 12.

My husband works in the oil industry.

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Same here. What does your SO do and how old are the kids?

Quoting tinkerbelle18:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Thank you. We've been ttc so this is wonderful news for us.

Quoting tinkerbelle18:

tndsmomma28
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, $3000?  That's insane!  Your DH must have a really good job!  I would normally say if you can't afford for your DH to pay child support AND support your own kids, then stop having kids, but that amount of child support seems excessive, especially if she doesn't work.  I'm torn!

tndsmomma28
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Oh, and congrats! :)

jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Why does she not work? Is she in school? Does she have a little one that is not in school that makes working difficult if she has to pay daycare costs.

I agree she should not be soley relying on that money to support the kids and that is a LOT a month how many kids do they have together and what does he do?

I think it is selfish that now that you two are having a baby you are asking him to take away from his other kids. If she has them all the time or if he rarely sees them then she should get that much. If he has them frequently then yes it should not be that much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM
11 moms liked this
We can afford to continue to pay it but we shouldn't have to. The children are half hers and we see them 50% of the time, there is no reason why we should be supporting a grown woman.

Quoting tndsmomma28:

Wow, $3000?  That's insane!  Your DH must have a really good job!  I would normally say if you can't afford for your DH to pay child support AND support your own kids, then stop having kids, but that amount of child support seems excessive, especially if she doesn't work.  I'm torn!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)