Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shoutout to LGBT mamas!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM
  • 17 Replies
5 moms liked this

As the daughter of a lesbian and a gay man, I just wanted to tell you that your children will not resent you purely for your sexuality. Your ability to parent (I'm sure you know this but it should be said) is not impacted AT ALL by your sexuality.

Your kids are going to be ok. Life is getting so much easier for children of LGBT families. I saw a huge difference between my experience in school fifteen years ago and the experiences my sisters had over the last few years. Things are improving, slowly but surely.

*Please note - I probably don't need to tell you that your kids will be ok, but I know that most alternative families don't get much encouragement. I just wish someone would have told my mom that it would be ok when I was little.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurtleSquish
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I know they'll have plenty of things to be pissed about. I just hope its not that we're gay lol
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

All of the kids of gay parents that I've known have had nothing negative to say about the sexuality of their parents. The ones I've known have been well adjusted, tolerant young adults rather than resentful messes. All parents make mistakes and all children grow up with complaints, but chances are your sexuality will not be one of them.

/end soapbox. I am watching 30 Days - Same Sex Parenting and the anti same sex parenting lady is getting to me.

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Thanks! I know they'll have plenty of things to be pissed about. I just hope its not that we're gay lol

TurtleSquish
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

yeah my sister says that kids with same sex parents are less adjusted and have a harder time in life when studies show the exact opposite. People will be ignorant....
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I'm sorry. I can't stand that kind of narrowmindedness.

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

yeah my sister says that kids with same sex parents are less adjusted and have a harder time in life when studies show the exact opposite. People will be ignorant....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Awww. That's so sweet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurtleSquish
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

I can only hope to prove her wrong by showing her
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We live in a really gay friendly area, I never thought about it effecting the kids. This is really sweet of you :)

KarriePlus1
by Karen on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump. :]

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  I'm bi...not quite ready for people to know here.  But it means a lot to read this my mother is not at all accepting of homosexuality, and her views have made me hide who I am.  Hell only a few friends and my DH even know.  So it's nice to hear some encouragement for once!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I consider myself pretty well adjusted but my father didn't come out until after he and my mom divorced. I had no clue he was gay until I was 15 or 16 years old. While it was a complete and total shock, he's my dad and I love him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured