Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was I in the wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
I had a houseful tonight. Me, DD, my brother and his kids were all under one roof tonight. DD and the boys were playing, and I was putting some dishes away in the kitchen, when the oldest of the boys comes running in the kitchen, and grabs me by my shoulder's, and jerks me back and forth, like he was shaking me.

Now, I have an instant reflex for when people come up behind me and I don't know it. Its to hit like my life depended on it, and ask questions later. Everyone that knows me, knows this. Even the boys, so why he did it, I had no idea!

As soon as he did it, I swung. I didn't know it was him!!!! I stopped myself mid-swing, and he just laughed, and took off running! I went back to putting up the rest of the stuff, and told them not to do it again, that they know better.

I was almost done, and I heard walking behind me. I looked, but didn't see anyone. I had the last glass in the cabinet, when I got grabbed on the shoulders again, and shook again! Once more, I swung out. I stopped myself, before I even turned.

Yes I yelled at him. I did NOT touch him. My brothers was outside smoking, and comes in, getting in MY face, telling me never to talk to his kids again. He wouldn't even let me explain what happened. Just kept saying he didn't want to hear it, and if I ever yelled at his kids again, I would be picking myself up off the floor.

I just walked away, and went into my room. I stayed there the rest of the time they were here. I don't feel I was out of line. I think that HE was for threatening me. His kid should not have been shaking me and coming up on me from behind, when the kid KNOWS not to do that.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Next time dont stop your self mid swing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mummy1990
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You aren't in the wrong. You told the kid to stop the first time, and that should have been enough. Your brother should be ashamed of himself.

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting teri4lance:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I agree with you. Whatever reasons you have for being uncomfortable with that, the kid isn't taking it seriously and thinks it's funny. He probably didn't mean anything malicious, per se, probably no more than people who tickle you even if you don't like it... but he still needs to learn that's really not cool. And your brother sounds like a jerk. :\ It sounds to me like both of them owe you an apology.

abbie.alder
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Quoting teri4lance:

this and tell your brother to leave if he's going to threaten you and not hear your side of the story.

mstkn.identity
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM
How old is the kid?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I'd have yelled over him at that point, and told him that his son was knowingly doing something that sets of your anxiety, and physically shaking you.  I know what you are talking about.  If someone tickles me, I will phyisically lash out, and I absolutely have to struggle to control it...DH ended up with a badly bruised hip once because I jabbed him with me knee (he knew I didn't mean to).  
   I'd also tell him that he better think twice before threatening you again...if he or his sons ever lay another hand on you, that you WILL call the police.  

Since you let it slide, I'd call him on the phone or leave a message with him.   

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM
You got sent to your room in your own damn house?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You weren't and your brother is a hot head. My kid would be picking himself up off the floor if he did that twice to his aunt. I punched my sister in the face because my dad through her into my back while I was reading a lable at walmart. I just reacted. I'm generally not that sensative but it's still not nice or safe. What if you droped something and broke it? 

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

When brother calms down, I'd inform him that in your home... you will react however you feel you need to react to a situation.  If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN