Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do you think its ok to make your older kids babysit your littles ones?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 159 Replies
3 moms liked this
They didn't create those kids! If you can't afford to pay a babysitter w/o relying on your present kids, maybe you shouldn't have more kids until you have that figured out. That makes me so angry seeing a child's childhood snatched because their little lives are wrapped up in their siblings. It isn't right!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Why would I hire someone to watch my 12 year old though? Shes home, and on occasion she stays with her little brother. No biggie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Why do you think it's not?  :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I have grown kids and little kids. I have never had my older kids watch my little kids. I am the parent, it is my job to watch my kids. Nobody elses.
Megshere
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM
People are selfish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
8 moms liked this
I highly doubt kids are missing much watching their siblings a few nights a year. It's a great way to teach responsibility and family values.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Ask? Ok. Make? No, they weren't involved in conception and it isn't their responsibility. I hated having, the kids foisted on me Monday thru Friday until at least 6, later if mom ended up at the bar again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That's stupid.

leavinglasvegas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
4 moms liked this

I do think it's ok. I am only a couple of years older than my brother but I stayed home to watch him when my parents when out. I don't think it's a matter of snatching a childhood away. It's sitting on the couch on a random Saturday night to usefully contribute to the family.

I don't think it's right if you have an older kid and several younger kid and the older kid is spending hours a day basically providing daycare. But for random babysitting it's not a big deal.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I babysat my sisters once or twice a month and also had a regular Friday night babysitting gig. I didn't have my childhood snatched away and I wasn't wrapped up in my sisters but we were and are incredibly close.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't trust strangers, never have, never will. My 16 yr old is more than capable of watching my other 2 while hubby & I catch a movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)