Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do you think its ok to make your older kids babysit your littles ones?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They didn't create those kids! If you can't afford to pay a babysitter w/o relying on your present kids, maybe you shouldn't have more kids until you have that figured out. That makes me so angry seeing a child's childhood snatched because their little lives are wrapped up in their siblings. It isn't right!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Replies (101-110):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I sure do, his childhood snatched, lol, I am a stay at home mom, it's not like he's providing day care services!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I think its ok a few times a year.

But, when I was growing up, I HAD to watch my little brother mon-Fri during summers while my mom went to work. My parents never gave me the choice, and I hated it!!! I would never do that to my kids. I never got paid either. It was just expected of me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

People are so mamby pamby with their kids these days. Of course it's okay! I babysat my brother, and I will expect the same of my kids. It teaches them not only responsibility but that family comes first. You are not snatching their childhood away and they should be old enough to be responsible with a younger sibling. 

I swear I was born 50 years too late. Back then you did what you had to do to survive and nobody complained about it or said you were a bad parent for making your kids babysit. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM
I watched my brother and sister every Wednesday while my parents bowled. In return I got allowance. I really didn't have to do anything else. I put my sister to bed about an hour after they left and my brother an hour after that. I never minded.

How do you feel about emergency situations? Like little Johnny broke his arm and you have to get him to the hospital but dad won't be able to get home for an hour even leaving right now. Are you okay with the oldest watching the younger ones in this situation.
NoahandEliza
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM
My 8 year old and I talked about this the other day. He wanted to know how old he had to be before I let him babysit his little sister. He WANTS to watch her because, shockingly, he likes spending time with her. My teenage nieces like to babysit my kids as well. And when I was 13, I watched my neighbors everyday after school. Babysitting isn't some horrible, childhood snatching job in our family. It's kids spending time together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyneedssleep
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM
I always ask my daughter if she will watch her brother.. I also pay her if she does.. If she doesn't want to I get a sitter, but that's only happened once because she felt stupid being here with someone her age as a babysitter lol plus she likes the money.... Oh and it's maybe once a month
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Every now and then having an olders sibling watch the younger kids I dont see a problem with. I do however see a problem with having a built in babysitter. My mom expected me to get straight a's go to band practice then come home and watch the younger kids  cook dinner clean up. There is a reason my brother calls me mom every now and then. This is something I will not be doing but every now and then thats ok.

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM

on another note, sometimes parents need a dinner out or they have to work and as a family we have to pitch in to accommodate. Do you not expect your kids to pitch in on chores, too? It's life. Sometimes we have to do things to help out and sometimes we have to do things we don't like, and sometimes we even have to miss out on something because duty calls when it comes to our FAMILY. Too damn bad.

Dimples04
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM
I have a 8 yr old & in 2 weeks she gets a lil sis. She & I talked about her getting to do big sis things & helping do fun stuff with her sis. I do NOT want her to have to watch her sis or feel obligated to have to. She did say she would watch her while I showered. Lol. 
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Ummm. If they are teens , and not working, and getting all their money from their parents, then damn right they can help out. MOST people think it is normal and acceptable. It is called family work sharing. Lordy, you people get stuffier everyday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)