Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do you think its ok to make your older kids babysit your littles ones?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They didn't create those kids! If you can't afford to pay a babysitter w/o relying on your present kids, maybe you shouldn't have more kids until you have that figured out. That makes me so angry seeing a child's childhood snatched because their little lives are wrapped up in their siblings. It isn't right!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Replies (131-140):
Tiffwith3plus3
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM
When the older nephews help me out by keeping an eye on my son and their little brother, they are generally paid in some way (cash, something small they've been wanting, extra Xbox time). However, with 6 kids and my husband working retail , everyone has to pitch in. They'd rather play with the kids so I can do the laundry or heavy chores, than do those chores themselves. They don't like going to the grocery, so they offer to keep one or two at home so the trip is easier on me. That's just how our family works since we took custody of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gamermom81
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
It teaches responsibility and that family.should take care of family
Tigress22304
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

If you wanna bash me for asking my nearly 12yr old to keep an eye on my 8 and 6 yr old while I check the mail or make dinner then go ahead-because that's the only time I ask my oldest to watch the younger kids.

I'm the oldest-my mother would ask me to keep an eye on the younger kids if she had to run to get milk or to pick my dad up from work.  It's not that big of a deal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

No. THESE children had their childhood snatched away. Babysitting your smaller siblings here and there isn't a travesty. Christ.

lady-J-Rock
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Well I don't force my older child to watch the younger two. I do ask if she would rather do yard work, cook dinner, or watch her little sister. If I want to play on the computer for an hour I do pay my older dd to watch the younger two.
Personally i started babysitting at a young age 12. And I didn't have my first child at 21. Because I didn't want to be dealing with fussy kids all day everyday. A few hours on the weekend or whatever was fun. You play, you feed em put b them down for nap. Mom and dad get home and you get to go home and do whatever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM

This is something I will not do. My step daughter has never minded coming over to watch my kids once in a while, but she gets paid to do it, and can say no whenever she likes. I leave my daughter with her older brother from time to time if I'm running to the store for 15 minutes or less, but would never make him watch her for an extended period of time unless he wanted to. I was forced to care for my younger brothers growing up, and always resented my parents for it.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

why would I hire someone if one of my children is old enough??? I understand what yo uare saying if they are pretty much raising them. but to watch them for a litlte bit I dont see the harm.

702girly
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

In our house, all family members have responsibilities because they are part of this family.

If they don't like it, maybe they should go live in an orphanage for awhile. You know, since having a family is so awful.

poietes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Meh, I watched my little sis once in a while, alwayys goit paid for it, it was a great way to make so extra money.
matofour
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
We are a family. That means we help each other out. They work around the house (I know our kids do much more around the house than most). If I need help with a little one, then my older one can help.
I am a mom,
Not the maid, not a cook, not a chauffeur.
We, in our family help each other out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)