Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you think its ok to make your older kids babysit your littles ones?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They didn't create those kids! If you can't afford to pay a babysitter w/o relying on your present kids, maybe you shouldn't have more kids until you have that figured out. That makes me so angry seeing a child's childhood snatched because their little lives are wrapped up in their siblings. It isn't right!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Replies (91-100):
GremlinMom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM
It was a great perk. Even now my siblings hop to when I ask them to :) I can still get my moms house ready for a formal dinner in under 15 minutes. :) my older brother is 24 ha ha, I'm the only one he will not argue with or ignore when I ask him to throw the trash or set the table. Booya

Quoting tansyflower:

i liked watching my younger siblings because i got to be the boss :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gravercem
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Not sure if you are talking about parents who have their older child watch siblings all the time while they work ect. or if you are including older child watching siblings a few times while parents go out to dinner ect.

I dont agree with parents that have their older child provide all the childcare for siblings on a daily basis, that to me is too much and the parents should hire childcare.   I dont see any problem with a older child watching siblings every once in a while while parents go out for a short time or go shopping ect.

I have had my older two keep a eye on their younger brother while I ran to a store but have never left them with their sister. 

MrsImperfect
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think all the time is right or having them care for the kids often but a family is a family and everyone takes part and everyone helps out. Thats what family is about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cdjak
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was a teenager, it was my responsibility to watch my younger sister after school until our parents got home from work. They owned a business, and I also worked in their store every Saturday and over holidays until I graduated from High School, then part time while I was in college up until I got married. 

For my own kids, they did sometimes take care of the younger one once they were old enough, if there was an overlap with our work. When we had to go out of town on a family emergency, our two teenagers (one an adult teen) took care of our 12 year old while we were gone. And when we wanted to go out on a date night, we paid our older ones to watch the younger one, as babysitters, and expected them to conduct themselves just like they would if they were taking care of someone else's kids for pay. 

Helping out with family issues, including chores, errands and sibling-care, builds self-esteem, responsibility and maturity. It's what families do for each other, and helps prepare children to become responsible adults. 

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I highly doubt kids are missing much watching their siblings a few nights a year. It's a great way to teach responsibility and family values.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. Families help each other out, what's so wrong about it? My mom and mil didn't create my kids either and sometimes they watch them if I need to. Why are older siblings above doing a favor?

Sharon
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM

It's not going to ruin an older siblings life to watch their younger siblings every now and again. I'm the oldest girl of 9...I was counted upon to help with all the younger kids and I hated it. I missed out on alot because both my parents worked. That's when it creates havoc..but here and there-not going to hurt anyone.

anitarichman
by Anita on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Tell that to my parents!  I ALWAYS had to babysit my brother who is 9 yrs younger than me....always.  I had no life to them, when they were going out, it wasn't a question if I could babysit, it was you WILL babysit.  It sucked for me.  I did take him to a couple of bars after I was "legal"  LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I was 10 when my youngest sister was born. I am glad my parents gave me the opportunity to babysit her. We have a very close bond because of it. She was like my first baby so to speak.
tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

right?!  i liked having so much power and authority BWAHAHAHAHA!!!  so evil but so fun :)

Quoting GremlinMom:

It was a great perk. Even now my siblings hop to when I ask them to :) I can still get my moms house ready for a formal dinner in under 15 minutes. :) my older brother is 24 ha ha, I'm the only one he will not argue with or ignore when I ask him to throw the trash or set the table. Booya

Quoting tansyflower:

i liked watching my younger siblings because i got to be the boss :)

Bethsunshine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Why do you think it's any of your business?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured