Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

she can't date until she's.... **edited to add**

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
  • 69 Replies

Sorry hit enter by mistake...

Anyway, our eldest is almost 11.   We are pretty laid back parents about somethings (i don't mind blue streaks in her hair, make up, etc..)..   and strict on others.

Recently, in a parenting group in church... one family (that we respect) mentioned that they set a rule (a serious one) that their kids aren't one-on-one dating until they are 18.   They feel that there really is no reason for a private date prior to that age.  

I really can't disagree with them.   I started hanging out with boys (going out and dating and such) when I was 12.  The results weren't good...   But I was also very independent and can't imagine having that much control over my kid when they are 15-17 years old....

DH revealed that he has felt the same way as this couple for a while now, but he hasn't mentioned it yet.

What do you think?  

What age will you allow your daughters (and sons) to go out on one-one dates?   What age are group dates appropriate?  How will you (or have you) handle(d) the dating age?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this
We told our oldest not until she's 30 and even then we will have to discuss the possibility lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mkh615
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I think high school is acceptable...

piratehooker
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM

My oldest started "dating" within groups my 16 and that's actually how all of her dates went.  It was within groups of people.  It seems actually dating someone, where they come and pick you up and take you out to eat alone, is a lost art.  Now my daughter is in college and is dating alone.  This was her choice.  My son is 12 and very immature so I don't know about him.

Momof2angels88
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM
My oldest DD's Godfather told her she couldn't date until she's 40!
I said how about 30 because I want grand kids. She said she's adopting anyway so it doesn't matter!
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I'm dead.

The.Hug.Life
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Depends on the girl. I wasn't allowed to date until I was 18. I think 16 is the acceptable age, unless the girl is more immature or prone to bad decisions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM
My daughter was 16.
maiahlynn
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

after highschool for all my kids 2 boys 3 girls

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN