Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Angel Trees

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
  • 49 Replies
I was at the gym today and noticed they had put their angel tree up. I went over to it excited to pick out my angel. I always try to pick one that looks really needy. For example, last year I picked a toddler boy that was asking for jeans and a winter jacket. I also went ahead and bought him a couple of toys. Anyway, I was appalled at what I found on the tree this year. Literally EVERY single angel had something on it such as a Wii, a DSi, a laptop, a cell phone, an iPod, an iPad, and so on. These people aren't needy, they're greedy!! My kids don't even have most of the things they were asking for. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be going somewhere else to get my angel this year.
So, is it just me or would that make you mad too? Would you buy them their ridiculous gifts or go somewhere else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Bump!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM
The agency that handles that here sent out a notice that no electronics could be requested.

The ones asking for a coat and warm clothes always break my heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM
Yeah I looked at the angle tree today and like you we always pick a child that seems like they would appreciate anything .I seen one girl that asking for Rock Rival jeans those jeans are damn near $200.00. We usually pick a toddler or a child under 10.and even if all they have on their list is clothes we try to get them a toy of some sort.
Jcothrine
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

i can't even imagine asking for such things on an Angel Tree...when i was broke... and granted my kids were young..we asked for simple things like the Little People playsets or a glowworm....

and apparently a lot of the mothers actually take the toys from their kids and trade them in for cash

at Walmart...etc........ i am appalled to find that out...... but that was what i was reading here last year.....

that they would brag about what kind of haul they got..my kids always got the toys people provided..and now that we can help...we do!

i was with my exhusband then..he made a lot less money then current husband..... don't want it to be said that my current husband can't provide..because he does..... but my ex did the best he could with the education he had ......

fuzzy_lil_peach
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:05 AM

It doesn't make me mad, but I wouldn't buy those gifts. We love doing the angel tree every year, but we noticed the same issue this year. We always try to find a little girl around my sons age, I love buying for little girls. lol The only toy she ask for was a LaLaLoopsy doll. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM
I wish they would do that around here. The ones asking for warm clothes break my heart also. It makes me feel good to know I'm really helping someone out who's in need.

Quoting -42-:

The agency that handles that here sent out a notice that no electronics could be requested.

The ones asking for a coat and warm clothes always break my heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Ugh...that makes me mad. Some people are so selfish!! I can't imagine selling my kids Christmas presents.
I'm glad you're in a better spot now so that you can give back. That must feel nice to give back to a charity that helped your family.

Quoting Jcothrine:

i can't even imagine asking for such things on an Angel Tree...when i was broke... and granted my kids were young..we asked for simple things like the Little People playsets or a glowworm....

and apparently a lot of the mothers actually take the toys from their kids and trade them in for cash

at Walmart...etc........ i am appalled to find that out...... but that was what i was reading here last year.....

that they would brag about what kind of haul they got..my kids always got the toys people provided..and now that we can help...we do!

i was with my exhusband then..he made a lot less money then current husband..... don't want it to be said that my current husband can't provide..because he does..... but my ex did the best he could with the education he had ......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM
I got a 1 year old. I seen a 4 year old angel on the tree at my job today asking for a jacket. I'm thinking of picking him up. I agree with you though.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM
My daughter loves lalaloopsy dolls!! Your angel will be so excited!! I also always try to pick a kid near my kids ages. That way they can help me shop and feel like they're doing something good :-)

Quoting fuzzy_lil_peach:

It doesn't make me mad, but I wouldn't buy those gifts. We love doing the angel tree every year, but we noticed the same issue this year. We always try to find a little girl around my sons age, I love buying for little girls. lol The only toy she ask for was a LaLaLoopsy doll. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Same here! I was appalled. They all wanted game consoles or bikes. What happened to wanting toys? I want to help, but that's crazy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured