Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I was at the gym today and noticed they had put their angel tree up. I went over to it excited to pick out my angel. I always try to pick one that looks really needy. For example, last year I picked a toddler boy that was asking for jeans and a winter jacket. I also went ahead and bought him a couple of toys. Anyway, I was appalled at what I found on the tree this year. Literally EVERY single angel had something on it such as a Wii, a DSi, a laptop, a cell phone, an iPod, an iPad, and so on. These people aren't needy, they're greedy!! My kids don't even have most of the things they were asking for. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be going somewhere else to get my angel this year.
So, is it just me or would that make you mad too? Would you buy them their ridiculous gifts or go somewhere else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Awww...you should. Every kid deserves a warm jacket. Makes me sad thinking some have to go without :-(

Quoting mommy74146:

I got a 1 year old. I seen a 4 year old angel on the tree at my job today asking for a jacket. I'm thinking of picking him up. I agree with you though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fuzzy_lil_peach
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I hope she is excited! We got her the one that you can fix her hair. How old is your daughter? This little girl is 4. 

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

My daughter loves lalaloopsy dolls!! Your angel will be so excited!! I also always try to pick a kid near my kids ages. That way they can help me shop and feel like they're doing something good :-)

Quoting fuzzy_lil_peach:

It doesn't make me mad, but I wouldn't buy those gifts. We love doing the angel tree every year, but we noticed the same issue this year. We always try to find a little girl around my sons age, I love buying for little girls. lol The only toy she ask for was a LaLaLoopsy doll. 

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I know. It's super sad. Yeah, I think I will go up there tomorrow and pick it up. :-)
cjsix
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM

They use to have the Angel Tree at Walmart every year along with the mall the last couple years,no Walmart and couldn't find it at the mall,though it's suppose to be there. This year they had where it would be in the paper and it's the mall and a couple of small businesses??? I don't get it. My kids use to have so much fun picking children off the tree and then shopping for them. I think I may ask at church this year if they know anyone.

Cher53
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM

GOD! I would diff go somewhere else the nerve...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM
When my kids are adopted for Christmas, I have never sold their gifts. The same angel who adopted them last year offered to adopt them this year. She got them almost everything they asked for including their "expensive" wishes because I explained to her they play the kinect as gym an hour day while we homeschool and because ds is on a strict diet and fitness regimen. I kept the more expensive things at $25 or less. Dd asked for a $50 game this year, but I specifically told their angel if she gets it for dd that she isn't to purchase her anything else. She has seen the children still using what she purchased them last year and is happy that they are happy. She has been in my house and knows we aren't living outside of our means. Bills come first especially food since my state is cutting people's food stamps. Ours went down by over $100 and ds's approved food list is expensive.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM
My daughter is 5. That's the one she's been wanting!! We're thinking about trying to get it for her either for Christmas or her birthday in April.

Quoting fuzzy_lil_peach:

I hope she is excited! We got her the one that you can fix her hair. How old is your daughter? This little girl is 4. 

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

My daughter loves lalaloopsy dolls!! Your angel will be so excited!! I also always try to pick a kid near my kids ages. That way they can help me shop and feel like they're doing something good :-)

Quoting fuzzy_lil_peach:

It doesn't make me mad, but I wouldn't buy those gifts. We love doing the angel tree every year, but we noticed the same issue this year. We always try to find a little girl around my sons age, I love buying for little girls. lol The only toy she ask for was a LaLaLoopsy doll. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyMommy24
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Somewhere else, I give to the needy not the greedy. As you put it. :)

StrawberryCool
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Its disgusting.

I dont think those kids fill them out. I think the moms do so they can get those things anx then sell.

Makes me sick, knowing there are people out there like that.

And Thats why I dont pick them up.

They are nice ideas but no thanks.

Like my moms job does this, and one year kid was wanting ab iPod touch, it was the first yr they came out. My mom said I refuse to buy my own children shit like that. So if they want something like that then their parents need ti be the ones to get it.

Since then the families have been eother domestic voilence victims or victims from loosing their homes or from the flood we had last yr.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I feel the same way.  :(  I like to pick the kids asking for the necessities too.  Then I'll throw in extra.  But since we're over seas this year...

My son's class has "adopted" a little girl from a local orphanage, and the class together is going to give her a Christmas. :)  They send pictures of her opening her presents and stuff too. Then in January they actually get to meet the little girl.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)