Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I was at the gym today and noticed they had put their angel tree up. I went over to it excited to pick out my angel. I always try to pick one that looks really needy. For example, last year I picked a toddler boy that was asking for jeans and a winter jacket. I also went ahead and bought him a couple of toys. Anyway, I was appalled at what I found on the tree this year. Literally EVERY single angel had something on it such as a Wii, a DSi, a laptop, a cell phone, an iPod, an iPad, and so on. These people aren't needy, they're greedy!! My kids don't even have most of the things they were asking for. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be going somewhere else to get my angel this year.
So, is it just me or would that make you mad too? Would you buy them their ridiculous gifts or go somewhere else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM
No...I must've missed that one. She was probably one of those that was going to sell the stuff and she was mad cause she couldn't. I swear...the nerve of some people...

Quoting Supervane:

I stopped doing the Angel tree for that very reason. I couldn't afford the needs of those kids even if I tried! For the past 3 years we've been adopting a senior citizen.

And were you not here for last years post. A lady who was a charity receiver came to complain her kids only got coloring books, and not all the fancy high tech stuff they requested in the Angel tree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this
The little girls I got wanted dolls. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

FFS. Are kids only allowed to ask for items within their means? The Angel tree is for kids to ask for what they WANT. Most of the kids on there likely don't own any of those items. Does that mean they are not allowed to ask for it? 

Sure, they likely won't get it, but it is Christmas. Kids should be able to hope for what they want, whether their parents can afford it, or not. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM
They're supposed to list one need and one want. One of them was for an 8 year old boy and said "need: laptop. Want: xbox360". Another one was for a 10 year old boy and it said "need: cell phone. Want: DS games". I'm sorry, but if you're needy enough to have to put your kids on an angel tree then there are things that should take priority over expensive electronics. Not to mention, a laptop and a cell phone are not needs for ANY 8 or 10 year old. It's pure greed.

Quoting Anonymous:

FFS. Are kids only allowed to ask for items within their means? The Angel tree is for kids to ask for what they WANT. Most of the kids on there likely don't own any of those items. Does that mean they are not allowed to ask for it? 

Sure, they likely won't get it, but it is Christmas. Kids should be able to hope for what they want, whether their parents can afford it, or not. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Adopt them and give them coal, then, since that is all they "deserve" for Christmas. 

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

They're supposed to list one need and one want. One of them was for an 8 year old boy and said "need: laptop. Want: xbox360". Another one was for a 10 year old boy and it said "need: cell phone. Want: DS games". I'm sorry, but if you're needy enough to have to put your kids on an angel tree then there are things that should take priority over expensive electronics. Not to mention, a laptop and a cell phone are not needs for ANY 8 or 10 year old. It's pure greed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Last year. I was late on picking my angel tree. It was a women, all she wanted was a mop :( I got the mop and nice watch for the women. :(
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Wow...so in your mind there's no in between super expensive electronics and coal?? I'm happy to buy them toys, within reason. I want to make them happy, but it's not my job to spoil them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Adopt them and give them coal, then, since that is all they "deserve" for Christmas. 

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM
2 moms liked this

You can get a wii and an ipod touch for like 50$.

Sometimes their basic needs are met by food stamps, DHS and housing agencies (DHS in PA used to give away free coats) and thats all they want.

I'd rather my family of 3 ask for a wii as a collective present than 40$  in toys each.

They did specify here that no electronics like that could be requested. 

Times have changed, and I dont think its greedy to want a game system thats been out for 5 years, that costs 40$.

I picked a kid at the local salvation army. His dad killed himself in front of them and injured the mom, shes still recovering. She lost her job and their house and all and all he wanted was a Wii.

I got one for 37$ and I think his face is going to light up and I hope it does.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM

So get them a netbook.

Some kids NEED a computer for school, or as an assistive device.

Did you ever think the kid requesting an iPad could be non verbal and need it as a communications device?

Its not a recognized therapy device and parents have to shell out for it on their on usually. I live in a southern poor state with ZERO support for kids like that. It breaks my heart.

Some of them ARE greedy, but really. If you ask a ten year old what they need, some random ass kid on the street, what do you think they would say?

The ones asking for coats and hats need way more than that, they are at the bottom of the food chain. Not EVERY KID that 'needs' a christmas present needs a damn coat and hat.

The point of the program is to provide christmas gifts. Who says 'essentials' need to be a gift?

I dont know, again I actually bought a kid a wii, so i just dont know. Just bypass the ones you dont like, how everyone else does. 

Crying about it here is not going to garner you much sympathy, this IS MC.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Wow...so in your mind there's no in between super expensive electronics and coal?? I'm happy to buy them toys, within reason. I want to make them happy, but it's not my job to spoil them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM

In your mind, if a child isn't asking for a coat, or new winter boots, they are greedy. You just sound like a judgementel person. No one told you you have to adopt an angel, or that you even have to buy what is listed. But if all you plan to do is bitch about what ki WANT, then you are missing the entire meaning of the Angel Tree. It's about giving something to a child who isn't in the position to otherwise have a Christmas. 

It's about selfless giving, not selfish bitching. 

You do it to be nice, not feel superior, as you obviously do. 

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)