Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I was at the gym today and noticed they had put their angel tree up. I went over to it excited to pick out my angel. I always try to pick one that looks really needy. For example, last year I picked a toddler boy that was asking for jeans and a winter jacket. I also went ahead and bought him a couple of toys. Anyway, I was appalled at what I found on the tree this year. Literally EVERY single angel had something on it such as a Wii, a DSi, a laptop, a cell phone, an iPod, an iPad, and so on. These people aren't needy, they're greedy!! My kids don't even have most of the things they were asking for. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be going somewhere else to get my angel this year.
So, is it just me or would that make you mad too? Would you buy them their ridiculous gifts or go somewhere else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Replies (41-49):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:38 AM
I just signed my kids up for angel tree yesterday. On the application it says you cant request anything over $25
Jcothrine
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM

it does feel good to help... also why i give to the salvation army every time i have even a few coins.....

the salavation army is who ran the angel tree where i was.. but i know they have a lot of other good programs too...... for grownups on hard times..

and really i could be right back to being in need if DH and i got a divorce..and we have had a rocky marriage........  i love him with all my heart but suffer from mental illness that makes me hard to live with..makes me have  a hard time functioning even in the home........ lately i have been on a stimulant that helps me with my fatigue issues and motivation problems....but still at the end of the week...like last weekend...i probably slept....18 hours a day.... and that was on the stimulant.. my body just can't handle it...my mind just can't handle it.... and then i was starting to feel psychotic again too.. feel better today though... but for the past two days felt really psychotic......

i would work if i could...outside the home.. but i have tried numerous times and have failed......

JC

Jcothrine
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:35 AM

hope your kids get a nice Christmas!

JC

Quoting Anonymous:

I just signed my kids up for angel tree yesterday. On the application it says you cant request anything over $25

Melanie420
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM
That would make me mad too and I would go somewhere else.......I don't have half of what they asked for and ill teach my son how to appreciate the simple things like I did as a kid, back them stuffed animals and cartoons movies were the best christmas presents. You know where I can get a angel, I can't do it this year since we are broke but toddlers from needy families break my heart
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvUSoMuch
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:17 AM

It is also irresponsible of the organization sponsoring the tree because they are setting these children up for dissappointment.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM
I agree with this but I can also understand that poor kids just want what their peers have. Our society is very materialisic unfortunately.

Quoting LuvUSoMuch:

It is also irresponsible of the organization sponsoring the tree because they are setting these children up for dissappointment.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

No it wouldn't make me mad. If you asked my 5 year old what she wanted for Christmas, she would tell you "An American Girl Doll." She doesn't understand that the doll costs $105, nor does she understand that the dolls at Wal-Mart only cost 20. I work at a school where almost 100% of the students live at or below the poverty line. Many of them tell me they are going to ask Santa for an I-Pad or Nintendo Wii, but I know most of them wont get what they want. They are kids. I don't expect a child to understand that when someone offers to buy you a gift, you ask for something inexpensive. I can also sympathize with a teenager that asks for a pair of 200 dollar jeans. High school is tough enough when you aren't living in poverty, imagine going to a high school where you have limited clothing and the other girls are bragging about their new Miss Me jeans? A friend of mines daughter was teased in middle school because her jeans were JC Penney brand. We tried to tell her it doesn't matter, but as a 13 year old, she just wanted to fit in. Most kids want something frivolous and fun for Christmas. I always donate to the toy drives, and I buy gifts for families that I know are needy. A 10 year old that asks for an I-Pod would probably be just as happy with a 30 dollar MP3 player. Maybe these poor kids believe there is a chance Santa will bring them an awesome gift that their parents could never afford to buy them like he does for the kids at school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM

our church always does an angel tree too. we always go with somone younger, usually a boy around my son's age so he can help pick out toys and stuff. we always see the video game kids on our tree, but we always go for the toys & clothes requests. 

we got a 5 yr old boy this year who just wanted superheroes. my son got him 2 tshirts (with batman and spiderman i think), some action figures, and some new shoes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:25 AM
It doesn't make me mad.
I dont think it makes them greedy.
I don't have money to buy them thosegifts though.

Children have wishes and dreams. How heartless to think they are GREEDY for hoping an angel will grant their Christmas wish.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN