Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

'No Kids Allowed'

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

every year, BF's mom has a holiday party... she sent out an actual invitation (online) this year... on it, it says 'NO kids allowed'....

i have a 7 year old. should I ask if I can bring him? or just decline? Its the day before Christmas and quite honestly, I don't want to leave DS alone for a few hours, on Christmas Eve.... If he was allowed to go, I'd totally go... but I also dont want to be the odd one out that brings a kid.

ETA: since a lot asked about a babysitter.... around here, the price is $10/hour... I do NOT and CAN not spend $50 for a sitter, just to attend the party. DS is only getting some dollar store toy since I'm so strapped for cash.

ETA 2: i highly doubt it'll be a drinking party. BF's family is VERY- anti-drinking. like EXTREME anti-drinking.... ANYWAYS! i plan to decline... but i'm also partially afraid that BF will have to get the 'mom's disappointed' lecture and look. any time me and DS didnt attend, he'd get that (as well as me when i'd go over to visit)... but maybe she wont do that this time, since she's the one who stated no kids allowed?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
anitarichman
by Anita on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Either get a sitter and go enjoy yourself for a few hours or don't go.  If the invitation clearly says no children, why would you even ask?

mommynmarch2010
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

i would decline because no kids are allowed and i'm not leaving my kids on christmas eve

LadyFreeRider
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM
I wouldnt go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

she doesnt have any grandkids... DS is mine, not BF's, so technically, DS isnt her grandson either. A few of the people invited, she watches their kids fulltime, throughout the week.

Quoting ermka:

I'd ask your bf to talk to her & see if she'll make an exception, otherwise just stay home. Does she have other grandkids that are being excluded?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Dont go . dont leave yr kid alone wth woman and it does say no kids and obviously she knows you have a child . if you want to go with yr bf get a sitter. dont ask if your child can go they will probably be drinking .
Tara922c
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

No, she is having an adults only party, meaning there won't be any kids there and the host doesn't want any kids there. I was invited to a co-workers Halloween Party, but couldn't go because we were out of town. She invited me and my husband, not "you and your family" so I assumed it was an adult party, and if we could go, I would assume kids were not invited. She told me that the party was being catered and had plenty of adult beverages.

I probably wouldn't attend an adults only party on Christmas Eve because we spend that evening as a family, but I wouldn't be insulted if I was invited to one.

HipLikeJunk
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM
If it says no kids, that means its an adult party. That seems like the obvious thing to conclude. Either get a babysitter or stay home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmeredith
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I would tell her that you would love to attend but just can't since you don't have a sitter.

Aydans_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Decline. I'm anal about who watches my son so if children aren't allowed, I won't go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Sigh. I know.... Every time she has a party/event that me and DS dont go to, BF will go and he'll come back, saying 'she's mad that you guys didnt go'-- even if IMO, its a legit reason (DS being sick mainly. we go to every event she plans)... so part of me is like if we DONT go- she's gonna be upset that we didnt, and BF will 'feel her wrath' lol... but at the same time, I dont want to spend Christmas Eve away from DS. esp since that'd be a big day for us; making cookies, Christmas stories, etc

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

Decline. If the invite already says no kids, why put yourself and her in the awkward position of asking and being told no?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)