Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
perezamberly
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I so agree with you! You have a good heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shimmifairy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

clapping

Leobaby2007
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I have never seen an angel tree card with electronic listed more than a simple walkie-talkie, but apparently that must have been a long time ago.

Each year, the company my husband works for sponsors one family- usually no dad in the picture, a single mom with 4-5 kids. Last year I choose the 6 year old girl and bought her what was on the list- clothing- a coat, pants, a pair of shoes, all of which, IMO are fairly essential. No where on the list were any kinds of electronic gadgets mentioned. I don't think that is appropriate it all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree. I was in the position to donate last year and this year as well.

But on the angel tree sites, all these kids were asking for expensive ass electronics. Wii games, Xbox games, controllers, etc.

I'd be fine with buying a toy..like maybe if some little girl wanted a certain doll or a boy wanted a certain action figure set. But not some expensive ass electronics!

Plus I figure..if they have the xbox console and wii console are they really that poor?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I agree. I think it's sad that some of these kids are lucky to get a $10 gift that would be given to them by a stranger! but in the long run, it will teach them to be thankful for what they have!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Wow, that is silly if you ask me.  Mom and dad can be realistic and should know what little one wants just by talking to them and then what is feasible.  We got my daughter hello kitty sleep clothing as I knew she was crazy for hello kitty and needed warm sleep clothing.

Quoting Anonymous:

See, ours at our local charities have the kids do it. If they're old enough to write, they fill it out themselves and if not, there's a volunteer that helps them.

Quoting Anonymous:

We did angel tree once.  My kids were in another room playing while I was filling out the forms and the angel.... Mom and dad filled it out. Not little one!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM
I tend to be naive in the sense that I believe people are generally good. Especially when it comes to their kids. Obviously this is not always the case, but I like to think these parents just want their children to be happy.

Quoting randi1978:

When I see Angel Tree cards with kids asking for top of the line electronics or game consoles, my honest first thought: "Parents who want it for themselves or to sell".  If a child is writing down a wish list, the parent should encourage the child to be realistic about it. 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't really see an issue with that, either.  Even teens are allowed to be hopeful, right?

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

How about the teenagers who ask for the spendy electronics knowing full well how much they cost?

Baybeelove88
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM
I hope we never fall in times so hard we can't get our kids what they really want. How exactly do you sponsor a family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't see anything wrong with it either. Its a wish list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)