Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I saw the angel tree in our walmart the other day and all of them (ok I didnt look at ALL of them) but the ones I did look at all said "30.00 limit". No mention of electronics or anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM
I was a volunteer one year. It's sort of like sitting on Santa's lap. There were requests for ponies and I remember one little girl that wanted a fairy castle in her back yard. We were just supposed to say things like "wouldn't you like a doll dressed like a fairy. That way you can take her wherever you go!" It worked most of the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow, that is silly if you ask me.  Mom and dad can be realistic and should know what little one wants just by talking to them and then what is feasible.  We got my daughter hello kitty sleep clothing as I knew she was crazy for hello kitty and needed warm sleep clothing.

Quoting Anonymous:

See, ours at our local charities have the kids do it. If they're old enough to write, they fill it out themselves and if not, there's a volunteer that helps them.

Quoting Anonymous:

We did angel tree once.  My kids were in another room playing while I was filling out the forms and the angel.... Mom and dad filled it out. Not little one!

mommyames2
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Last year in my town. Some parents would return the gifts for their children and get the money. Its a small town and word gets around. Its sad. There were still names on the tree at Christmas. Some kids didn't get picked off the tree. Then some that did the parents returned for the money.

Sad

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I've def. Skipped over kids on the angel tree who asked for expensive electronics and such. I left them there so people who could actually afford that stuff would buy it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM
They usually have the trees at Walmart or grocery stores, but some local businesses and churches set them up too. You just read the wishlist and there are directions to where to drop the stuff off at.

Quoting Baybeelove88:

I hope we never fall in times so hard we can't get our kids what they really want. How exactly do you sponsor a family?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM
That is sad. Some of the places that set up Angel Trees here also set up donation boxes. That way, if a kid doesn't get picked, there's still stuff in the box to give them a little something.

Quoting mommyames2:

Last year in my town. Some parents would return the gifts for their children and get the money. Its a small town and word gets around. Its sad. There were still names on the tree at Christmas. Some kids didn't get picked off the tree. Then some that did the parents returned for the money.

Sad

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

When we first had kids we fell on hard times and used angel tree,  i ask the kids for some suggestions on what they wanted and then when I filled out the paper I put down the more reasonable items that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Yes kids will always say they want the expensive things but kids don't fill those out parents do!

ermka
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM
6 moms liked this
I agree with you. Christmas is a magical time for kids, a time to make wishes that they otherwise wouldn't. My son wants a hampster. He know's it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean he can't wish for it. Hell, I'd like a new car, and I can wish & want all day long, but that won't happen. Why take that wish away from a child just because it's unrealistic for their income level?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

The angel tree at the mall has fully legible tags that were made by adult workers. The adult workers could easily suggest to the children to be realistic or set a rule like "$40 limit" so all of the children on the tree get a present.

If the kid wants a DS or a new car or their own private island the worker and the parents should probably step in and suggest things more reasonably priced so the child gets something.

And no, I'm not spending over $200 on a child on the angel tree. If for some reason I did throw down that kind of money I'd put an X over the barcode so when the parent steals it before the child even sees it, they can only get pawn value or Gamestop value and not full retail.

meka26
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM
5 moms liked this

I just find it sad that we live in a world where children have to pay the price for adult decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)