Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
zinniadaisy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM
3 moms liked this

I get what you're saying - I've even heard some people from our Church who assist with our local Angel tree make statements like, "These kids think Santa is bringing the gifts, and Santa can make anything happen in their eyes..." so they give it a shot with the big ticket items...

zboys
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I wouldn't select one like that.

K_D88
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Some people may actually have the money to buy these spendy electonics and will.  I understand the prices are ridiculous.  There are probably people out there that will really buy these spendy purchases for kids.

apoynter
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I have strayed from the 'usual' angel trees, in favor of ones that are gifting to the mentally challenged, or unfortunates in nursing homes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this
For those that are worried about parents returning gifts, help someone you know. In these economic times its hard to imagine you don't know someone who needs a hand. Work, church, school, neighborhood, friend of a friend, family the list goes on and on.
ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
We picked our Angel Tree kids yesterday. They are from our local Headstart and their request made me humbled. Underwear, socks, pjs, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momforhealth
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
These are the things that make kids and teens feel socially accepted. Why not get a child one? How awesome would that be for a child who might not get one otherwise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM
4 moms liked this
Christmas is a magical time of year. Last year there was story after story of strangers paying off lay a way bills, maybe this year the big stories will be about kids relieving expensive electronics from the angel tree.
My kid is asking for a robot... I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen but, for the next month or so, he can imagine having one because, to a child, anything is possible during christmas:)
Momof5kids84
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
I get what you're saying. I really do. However, parents know full well how much that stuff costs. I just think that people should be aware that economy and the unemployment rate affects everyone not just them. I don't know, I also hate giving angels cheap by the cash register stuff. I want poor kids to have a good Christmas too.
Momof5kids84
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Same here. Both of my kids picked angels from the tree, they tell us what to buy. Socks and underwear for the girl, and a jogging suit for the boy.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

We picked our Angel Tree kids yesterday. They are from our local Headstart and their request made me humbled. Underwear, socks, pjs, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)