Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Quoting Momforhealth:

These are the things that make kids and teens feel socially accepted. Why not get a child one? How awesome would that be for a child who might not get one otherwise.

It is a gamble. What percentage of kids actually recieve the presents that are bought for them? From the horrors of lines of women returning stuff at Walmart hours after toy distros.... I'd say its 50/50.

I feel a lot more confident that the children who ask for shoes and crayons are going to actually see the gifts you give them than the "children" who ask for the moon. 

Do you know how much booze and smokes you can get with $215 in store credit from returning your son's donated new 3DS XL?

Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM
4 moms liked this

What are they supposed to ask for? Honestly, I am curious. These days, there aren't a whole lot of CHEAP toys.

pregnancy week by week
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with you. 

mommaoftwo
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

If I were in that situation, I would basically be transcribing their christmas list. If they asked for a wii, or skylanders giants constantly, I would probably write it down. The kid talks about nothing else, and if I can't afford it, maybe someone else will find it in their hearts to grant  his wish.

Seriously though, with how annoying he is being I am thinking of making Grandma return it and not get it at all for Christmas.

See, ours at our local charities have the kids do it. If they're old enough to write, they fill it out themselves and if not, there's a volunteer that helps them.

Quoting Anonymous:

We did angel tree once.  My kids were in another room playing while I was filling out the forms and the angel.... Mom and dad filled it out. Not little one!

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My issue is when they ONLY ask for expensive things. The parents an make sure that the kids don't ask for a bunch of big stuff

illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Last year my neighbor spent her $200 grocery store gift card  from us on booze and smokes. She thanked me profusely and told me how happy she was that she could have a great Christmas now. Oops. Guess she forgot about her daughter. 

Quoting Anonymous:

For those that are worried about parents returning gifts, help someone you know. In these economic times its hard to imagine you don't know someone who needs a hand. Work, church, school, neighborhood, friend of a friend, family the list goes on and on.

Idntreallycare
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I would try to look for something in my budget on the tree. I look at a few angels before choosing one. I try to get something they want, and also a clothing item if they have sizes listed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Here our Angel Trees just have an age range and gender.  There are no specific gifts being asked for.  

If you adopt a family you will get a wishlist that they fill out and turn in.  The last year that DHS controlled the Christmas families my sorority was given a family with a 13 year old boy.  They were asking for a bike or a playstation 2 and a game for him.  I understand that they may be low income and these might be the only thing their kid wants, but they had also listed that they needed some winter clothing for all of them.  We chose to buy the necessities over the wants because we felt that having a warm coat was more important than video games or a bike he wouldn't be able to use for at least 4 months after Christmas.

Now that the Salvation Army handles the Christmas families there is a screening done and it is truly based on necessity.  Families who need a little help can go to the Toy Store and show proof of income to get presents if they aren't adopted.   

illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids don't like $40 lego sets anymore? Barbie stuff is easily under $40. Books? DVDs? Surely kids under 10 can be amused with reasonable toys. There is more than electronic toys out there.

Quoting Mom2five87:

What are they supposed to ask for? Honestly, I am curious. These days, there aren't a whole lot of CHEAP toys.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting Momof5kids84:

Same here. Both of my kids picked angels from the tree, they tell us what to buy. Socks and underwear for the girl, and a jogging suit for the boy.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

We picked our Angel Tree kids yesterday. They are from our local Headstart and their request made me humbled. Underwear, socks, pjs, etc.

I have picked a few kids each year off the angel tree for the last 9 years. I usually look to find ones asking for smaller simpler things since it is what I can afford to help with. I always try to find kids around the ages of my kids so my kids can help someone their age

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN