Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (501-510):
Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Why give it away? Ms DS is 3 1/2 and still loves his!

Quoting malexander2009:

I know right. My DS loves his Scout too. So does his little brother and sister. I hit ebay for my twins scout and violet and got them basically 2 for the price of 1. I don't know if I'll have to heart to give away DS1's Scout when he turns 3.

Quoting Mrs.Bryant1201:

That sucks! My son loves his scout. Its one of his favorites since LAST christmas!

Quoting malexander2009:

Hey out here parents are limited to 3 gifts on top of clothing and you cannot add any type of electronics. Like the Scout and Violet by Leapfrog are "techy" for Angel Tree out here. This is scout and violet these cannot be added to angel tree.

Legaltype
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The only time I've ever been disagreeable with a request on a charitable list was when one teenage boy (17) asked for a diamond ring. I agree with you about the children wanting electronics. I mean nowdays pretty much every kid has some sort game system. And besides, that's what Christmas is about for kids - to ask for something they realllllllyyyyy want. Now if a parent asked for one, I'd be second thinking it.

celticgodess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I completely agree with original poster and if I'm ever in a position to do so I hope to grant that child their wish.  For now I do 3-4 drives between moms groups and dr office etc and try to get the practical (socks, undrewear, books, electricity gift cards)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

This is slightly unrelated but back when webkins were huge a lady got on free cycle and requested webkins but the security code had to still be there. I thought that was highly rude and put her on my list on 'do not accept' So yes her family missed out because of her selfishness.

Her " selfishness"? How about YOUR SELFISNESS!!??! Nice going on showing your kids on how to be greedy and behaving as if the world should revolve around YOU! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I don't think it's so much the child that people are thinking has entitlement issues, as it is the parent(s).  The children don't fill out the forms; the parents do. 

PreciousAngel09
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

The Salavation Army here has the parents fill out the forms (after verifying income) and most of the time the kids aren't present while doing so. After reading some of these comments it make me happy with my decision. My son wants an InnoTab 2 and he knows I am all for the educational toys (and love how Vtech has a "University" with curriculum to help him do better in school) but I was afraid if I placed a $70 toy on his "wish list" he would be passed over and not selected and have nothing on Christmas morning. So I put more legos and books (which he enjoys too) and that leaves the pricing up to whomever selects him. 

On a side note, I have to say THANK YOU to all those who take the time to choose an Angel or family in need to support. My son was an "Angel" his 1st Christmas and now (6 years later) again this year. We also helped 1 child each Christmas in between and having been a recipient I can honestly say there is no greater joy than seeing your child's face light up Christmas morning when they see (in our case) what Santa brought.  So THANKS to all the Santa's in the world!!!

Jenn_A
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

If you get a request like that, why not shop some pawn shops or e-bay? That is where my kids "expensive" stuff comes from. I've never spent more than $50 on any one item, my kids are happy, and the used ones usually come with at least 3 games. The kid may ONLY get that for Christmas, but I can tell you from my experience, I'd rather have ONE thing I really want, than dozens of the 'poor kids' presents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM
I once went to pick a family from our local angel tree. they had 2 requests left. one for a GPS so the wouldn't get lost in their car and another for a ps3 because they broke theirs.
AmosFarkle
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Even my own kids knew they wouldn't get the expensive things a lot of other kids got.  They could wish all they wanted to, but there was a limit and they knew it.  This year our house got hit by lightning, insurance denied, we're having to sue them, and nobody...NOBODY...is getting a gift just because it's Christmas.  Mind you, they're grown now so it's a little different.  But there's nothing I can do about it except explain.  I'll give as I can all year long, and I hope next year things will be better.  "Angel" tree recipients should seriously be thankful for anything, and their parents need to encourage that trait.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I don't EVER do angel trees or any of that bullshit.  Way too many people scamming or people who are lazy and/or stupid who shouldn't have children in the first place.  Typical American Deadbeats.

We do Operation Christmas Child and send things overseas to children in TRUE NEED. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)