Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (521-530):
Ihold8Stars
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM
If you don't mind proving income and children I will add you to our adoption list, we also allow teens!

Quoting myraonny:

I was gonna try to see if I could sign my kids up this year. Not my older 3 but my little two. After reading most of these comments I think I am gonna decline. Both my little guys are special needs.  I don't want to deal with the judgement if someone decides to get my epileptic kid something with flashing lights and i need to return it either to the program or to the store for something appropriate. Or if someone gets my kid something that is "yucky" like lights up and makes noise or is a "yucky" color or a "yucky" texture. (2 yo spd kid). It is so sad that people would ruin programs like this for people who need it. We are still deciding on how we are going to handle this year because we only have enough money to get a small thing for the little kids. My teens aren't getting anything and they are disappointed but understand. I also wouldnt want to be judged from someone stopping by to drop off stuff and seeing that we have a newer car (Bought a few years ago when we only had the teens and 1 little guy on the way, almost done paying off an '09 Dodge) or that my 14 yo has a laptop (issued by the tech school that he attends instead of high school.) Or that we have a big screen tv, that was given to us as a christmas/birthday present for the whole family by my mother a few years ago. Or that my husband has designer clothes left over from when he was a teenager that he bought on discount by working at the store.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ihold8Stars
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM
49% off Americans qualified for some type of GOV assistance this year. Businesses are closing left and right My own husband lost a job last year when his company bankrupted over night No notice.. My husband was left trying to calm his workers and dividing the petty cash since all payroll bounced!

Hundreds of employees let go in 1 swoop and a months worth of prior paychecks bounced leaving employees with negative bank accounts. My husband went from making 70k a year full bens complete free medical Blue cross to $0

look at recent news how many thousands out of work from hostess shutting doors!

Yet you think sending care boxes to countries where kids are sold as income, produced for income, AIDS consummed and No real birth control is in play You think these people are more worthy then your own country which is in economic ruins pretty much owned by china?

Again the person needing help has to look pathetic 3rd worldish in order for you to feel like a mighty right human being helping the poor...

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't EVER do angel trees or any of that bullshit.  Way too many people scamming or people who are lazy and/or stupid who shouldn't have children in the first place.  Typical American Deadbeats.

We do Operation Christmas Child and send things overseas to children in TRUE NEED. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM

While that may be your sob story,  that's not the sob story of 49% of the US. 

Drug addicts and deadbeats plague our doctors offices, hospitals, jails, and prisons, all in search of their next "fix", while their children are ignored, abused, and neglected.  I can send these people money all day long (which we do through my tax dollars) and fully support their children (which we do through tax funded social programs) and that absolutely will not change their pathetic behavior.  These people have choices.  They can get jobs and even if they choose not to,  they are still given money to live and their children are not starving in the street. 

And you are damn right that I think the children of 3rd world countries are more "worthy" than the ones in my own country.  Those children don't have backup support, like the US provides.  They are truly in the state they are because of the country they live in, unlike children of the deadbeats in this country.  I'll pick the truly needy, who actually appreciate my hard earned dollars over an American deadbeat any day. And I don't do it to feel like a "mighty right human being", I do it because I refuse to help those who already help themselves to my paycheck without my consent.  And guess what else?  There are plenty of people with money who also feel the same way.  You might be able to legislate your way into my pocket, but that's what you are going to have to do to get it. 

And just an FYI, it's a whole lot more productive for people to actually get out and earn their own money to put in their pockets,  rather than scamming and scheming their way into mine.  (and much more cost effective!)

:)

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

49% off Americans qualified for some type of GOV assistance this year. Businesses are closing left and right My own husband lost a job last year when his company bankrupted over night No notice.. My husband was left trying to calm his workers and dividing the petty cash since all payroll bounced!

Hundreds of employees let go in 1 swoop and a months worth of prior paychecks bounced leaving employees with negative bank accounts. My husband went from making 70k a year full bens complete free medical Blue cross to $0

Yet you think sending care boxes to countries where kids are sold as income, produced for income, AIDS consummed and No real birth control is in play You think these people are more worthy then your own country which is in economic ruins pretty much owned by china?

Again the person needing help has to look pathetic 3rd worldish in order for you to feel like a mighty right human being helping the poor...

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't EVER do angel trees or any of that bullshit.  Way too many people scamming or people who are lazy and/or stupid who shouldn't have children in the first place.  Typical American Deadbeats.

We do Operation Christmas Child and send things overseas to children in TRUE NEED. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Americans are more likely to be able to provide for their kids and it's true that children in 3rd world countries are more in need when it comes to food and shelter. The only problem I see though, is that it's not the fault of the kids of these deadbeats. They're getting the short end of the stick from every direction. I have to say though...I don't think it's a bad thing to want to donate to other countries. A child in need is a child in need and no less important than anyone in the USA.

Quoting Anonymous:

Drug addicts and deadbeats plague our doctors offices, hospitals, jails, and prisons, all in search of their next "fix", while their children are ignored, abused, and neglected.  I can send these people money all day long (which we do through my tax dollars) and fully support their children (which we do through tax funded social programs) and that absolutely will not change their pathetic behavior.  These people have choices.  They can get jobs and even if they choose not to,  they are still given money to live and their children are not starving in the street. 

And you are damn right that I think the children of 3rd world countries are more "worthy" than the ones in my own country.  Those children don't have backup support, like the US provides.  They are truly in the state they are because of the country they live in, unlike children of the deadbeats in this country.  I'll pick the truly needy, who actually appreciate my hard earned dollars over an American deadbeat any day. And I don't do it to feel like a "mighty right human being", I do it because I refuse to help those who already help themselves to my paycheck without my consent.  And guess what else?  There are plenty of people with money who also feel the same way.  You might be able to legislate your way into my pocket, but that's what you are going to have to do to get it. 

And just an FYI, it's a whole lot more productive for people to actually get out and earn their own money to put in their pockets,  rather than scamming and scheming their way into mine.  (and much more cost effective!)

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ihold8Stars
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Your Gov conditions the very poor from moment of conception to be dependant on them as a life source. There's no hand up offered only out.

Majority of Americans are blind they blame the poor when infact they should be taking measure to reconstruct the corrupt system.

The Kids are innocent.

So how much did you owe the IRS this year?

People Bltch about how much they pay to welfare when fact is the top 15% of earners actual contribute..

Take your tax payment and divide that between every expense that it's used toward..

I think you think cuz my husband lost his employee job last year I had a sob story.. Truth is I am a business owner myself so my husbands loss was felt but didn't starve us!

Before expenses I owed alittle over 50k after all said and done I paid just over 5k in taxes...

If you got a refund and in your taxes it included a credit like child tax... Or Eic then hunny people like me helped you get that refund huh?

Your a female Archie bunker.. You see the world through stainglass window panes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

Ihold8Stars
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM
FYI The Christmas programs in My city have doubled in requestor in last 2 years..

Why?

Because Many hard working American simply cannot find work because there is none to be found.

Look at your local newspaper limited want ads

look at the forclosure announcements- notice all the middle class homes up for grabs?

These are Not deadbeats.

Surly there's those who get around system but many don't many are in true need!!!!

Fix the system- stop voting for the wrong people- make a difference in your country- how can you be a mother and not want to secure the place you call home?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Since you asked, lol...I'll tell you.  The last tax refund that I received was in 1987, the year I graduated from college.  Since then I have paid into the system without fail, and as of 2011, I paid, yes, ME PERSONALLY, wrote checks out totaling $105,000 and some change,  of which 20% of it went to social programs, which totals around $21,000. 

So trust me "hunny" you've never given me a penny, or my husband, or my parents, or my children.  It would be quite easy to give it all away if all I ever paid was $5000. Shit, if I add up my property taxes, local taxes, I pay twice that a month. 

Get over yourself.

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

Your Gov conditions the very poor from moment of conception to be dependant on them as a life source. There's no hand up offered only out.

Majority of Americans are blind they blame the poor when infact they should be taking measure to reconstruct the corrupt system.

The Kids are innocent.

People Bltch about how much they pay to welfare when fact is the top 15% of earners actual contribute..

Take your tax payment and divide that between every expense that it's used toward..

I think you think cuz my husband lost his employee job last year I had a sob story.. Truth is I am a business owner myself so my husbands loss was felt but didn't starve us!

Before expenses I owed alittle over 50k after all said and done I paid just over 5k in taxes...

If you got a refund and in your taxes it included a credit like child tax... Or Eic then hunny people like me helped you get that refund huh?

Your a female Archie bunker.. You see the world through stainglass window panes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Actually, we are in the process of becoming expats.  :) 

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

Fix the system- stop voting for the wrong people- make a difference in your country- how can you be a mother and not want to secure the place you call home?

Ihold8Stars
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:17 AM
To be fair I'll let you know I have 13 yrs accounting backround.

If after deductions your paying $21,000 to the IRS you either are banking a presidents salary or have a very bad accountant..

If your paying $10,000 a MONTH for TAXes you must have a mansion on several acres.

I call BS. I explained to you taxes just because most people have no clue how taxes ate actually spent. You see these folks who ger back returns with credits every year but complain how there mighty taxes pay for souch when reality is they get back all the taxes put in plus some!

I have 2 homes my main is in the country outside city limits in IL which is a high tax state. My 2nd home is in Chicago in my neighborhood the average house cost between 450k-1 million mine falls between.. My property taxes are under $15,000 a YEAR- My country home sits on a few acreas and I pay half yearly in taxes.

If your paying $10,000+ property taxes a Month then hunny I think your getting kinda screwed where do you live cuz that's insane!! Your telling me you pay $120,000 just in freakin taxes on your home a year??

But you can't adopt a kid off the tree? Hell I adopt 1 for every one of my kids every year and I'm ghetto compared to your royal behind.

Lol if your tellin the truth u make me lol.. If your not I lol harder!

Quoting Anonymous:

Since you asked, lol...I'll tell you.  The last tax refund that I received was in 1987, the year I graduated from college.  Since then I have paid into the system without fail, and as of 2011, I paid, yes, ME PERSONALLY, wrote checks out totaling $105,000 and some change,  of which 20% of it went to social programs, which totals around $21,000. 

So trust me "hunny" you've never given me a penny, or my husband, or my parents, or my children.  It would be quite easy to give it all away if all I ever paid was $5000. Shit, if I add up my property taxes, local taxes, I pay twice that a month. 

Get over yourself.

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

The Kids are innocent.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

You need help...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I realize that you believe yourself to be gods gift to accounting, lol....but you really are making a fool of yourself.  Let me quote my statement again since you missed it...

"It would be quite easy to give it all away if all I ever paid was $5000. Shit, if I add up my property taxes, local taxes, I pay twice that a month. "

I told you in the beginning of the post that last year I paid $105,000.   That was my federal income tax.   When you add, my property, local (and state) taxes to that, yes, I pay twice 5K per month in taxes. 

And if you are inspired to support the deadbeats of this country, please GO FOR IT!  I personally will send my charitable contributions to children and people who appreciate it.  Our church actually helps support an entire community in Tanzania.  We sent them a tractor last year so they can grow crops and start supporting themselves in addition to a variety of necessities.  And no, you can't just send them money.  We actually had to ship them a tractor.

But if pulling a name off angel tree and wrapping up a barbie from Walmart makes you feel good about yourself, have at it.

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

To be fair I'll let you know I have 13 yrs accounting backround.

If after deductions your paying $21,000 to the IRS you either are banking a presidents salary or have a very bad accountant..

If your paying $10,000 a MONTH for TAXes you must have a mansion on several acres.

I call BS. I explained to you taxes just because most people have no clue how taxes ate actually spent. You see these folks who ger back returns with credits every year but complain how there mighty taxes pay for souch when reality is they get back all the taxes put in plus some!

I have 2 homes my main is in the country outside city limits in IL which is a high tax state. My 2nd home is in Chicago in my neighborhood the average house cost between 450k-1 million mine falls between.. My property taxes are under $15,000 a YEAR- My country home sits on a few acreas and I pay half yearly in taxes.

If your paying $10,000+ property taxes a Month then hunny I think your getting kinda screwed where do you live cuz that's insane!! Your telling me you pay $120,000 just in freakin taxes on your home a year??

But you can't adopt a kid off the tree? Hell I adopt 1 for every one of my kids every year and I'm ghetto compared to your royal behind.

Lol if your tellin the truth u make me lol.. If your not I lol harder!

Quoting Anonymous:

Get over yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)