Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My very unpopular opinion **eta

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know that hardly anyone agrees with me on this and I understand perfectly well why that is. Expensive requests on Angel Trees: I'm ok with it.

It's rude and inappropriate to ask strangers for electronics, it really is. However, I can't really fault a child for it. Some kids don't understand how much a DS really costs. All they know is that the other kids their age have them and they're cool. Mom and dad might even know how tacky it is to ask for one, but they also know they'll never be able to buy it. They might think, heck, this is the one time of year that someone could possibly be generous enough to buy their child what they're wishing for. I think when you ask for charity, you take what you get, but what's the harm in trying?

The only actual harm I see is that a child that otherwise wouldn't get a Christmas is now being skipped over because someone thinks a dirt poor 6 year old has entitlement issues. I'm sure some do, but I'm betting most just don't know what they're asking for is too much.

I completely get why no one wants to buy a Wii or an Xbox, but could we maybe look past that and get the kid something else on their list? Does he/she now deserve a gift any less because they had the audacity to hope they might get what they really want one time this year?

**I tried to read all the replies, but it got a little hard to keep up. I'm definitely not saying everyone should go out and buy big, expensive items. There are usually more things on their list than just a DS or iPod. I just mean, try to look at their WHOLE list and see if there's something you can afford. It seems like from what I've seen on here so far, people see an expensive item and automatically put that tag back.

And, it's also fine to look for things you can afford. No matter what you can afford, it's a blessing to someone.

***edit again. I think some people aren't reading past the first couple sentences. In a normal situation, I think it's rude to EXPECT electronics and high dollar toys from strangers. Those would be the snotty parents raising entitled kids. I DON'T think it's bad for a kid to have a Christmas wishlist. Being poor doesn't mean a child should have to ask for socks, they have as much right to want cool gifts just as much as a rich kid.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (531-532):
justme91755
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Quoting Ihold8Stars:

That's stupid! For all you know that's a friend or families home and they the visitors OR could have been living in basement or attaic apartment, the boat you don't know if it was New or just well cared for.. So what if they had jet skiis you can get them off craigslist cheap Npt tp mention she said her husband was laid off or not employed at the time.. Not that he was to stupid to have made a living before hand!

People like you make me sick! I run our local program and judgemental prudes like yourself who do good for the feel good only ate who I think needs reporting!

We help to help Ypur Not in that ladies shoes How dare you assume? For all you know the "stacked" gifts were freakin decorations ppl wrap empty boxes for show! For all you know it was used stuff.. Or free stuff or dollar store stuff..,

That's why you shouldn't Judge! Programs have income requirements OBVIOUSLY Thats familes checked out!

V8 truck ARE you serious? You sound jealous..

So for you to feel good about yourself you need to feel the other person is less then yourself?

Quoting justme91755:

the palce where I worked was giving kids a shopping spree( if you can call it that) of $50.  Of course you can not get an Xbox or ds for that and some kids were really upset but then there were the ones who asked if they could spend the money to buy presents for other people in their family, things like gloves and hats and books.so  it baalances out. We once had a lady sign up her kids because her husband was out of work so we put toghter some toys and then pulled up in front of her house to find a new boat, jet skis and a V-8 pickup and their tree in the front window was stacked with packages.  Needless to say we skipped her house and took the gifts to the Salvation Army for kids who needed them  I wish there was a way to report people like that.

Iguess I needed more information.  She worked at our store, part time and she came in the day after Christmas showing off her new diamond ring. Her husband owned a construction company and he closed down in December and January because of the weather. He did it every year so they should have been prepared and they did not need the gifts  She just signed up because she could get free stuff so why not.She was not living in a friends house or the basement and the model of boat showed it was new.  Some people line up for anything free even if they dont need it and others could use it more. These are the ones I am talking about.

Wonderful Washington Wine Country

Mom2BandCJ
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Our church does an Angel Tree every year and we've only run into this issue only once.

And I Agree With You... but I find it very hard to purchase an expensive gift for someone else's child, when I would Not purchase that same item for my own child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN