Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why wouldn't Someone WANT to go to school and atleast have a degree or certification for a career?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 155 Replies
I had never heard someone say "some people don't want to go to school" until Cafemom. I'm not trying to bash, I just want insight that's all. Even if you want to be a SAHM while your kids are young, why wouldn't you want to further your education to obtain a career in your future?

I'm honestly just curious ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I have no idea either. I just went back to school to earn my bachelor's and then master's in Psychology. I'm excited.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to better themselves and get a higher education. You can only be a SAHM for so long. If a woman really plans on being at home forever, what happens if their husband loses his job or dies? How will they support themselves and their children?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I ended up with a job with the Federal Government right out of H.S. I make more than people with College Degrees and have better benefits and job security. That's why.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I know this one girl who is perfectly happy (seems to be at least) to be a SAHM while her son is young. That's great, I'm a SAHM too, but I don't think she has any skills other than baking, sewing, and crafts. It's not 1950 anymore. Women actually need to have skills to survive in this world.
StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
To me it would be a waste of money for me to go to college.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autum713
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Some of those so called degrees mean nothing, just an expensive peice of paper... I do have a dergree and I paid plenty for it, however most of my skills in my career came from on the job learning
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM
That's great!

I think the OP may have been referring to SAHMs that don't want to further their education and don't have any skills. It's really none of our business but how would they survive if something happened to their husband or his job?

Quoting Anonymous:

I ended up with a job with the Federal Government right out of H.S. I make more than people with College Degrees and have better benefits and job security. That's why.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Because they rather count on a hubby to support them

Who knows

Later on down the way they will be left wondering wtf did i do with myself? What else can i do besides clean and cook?
Their choice really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wilesmomma
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I don't get it either, but I was raised in a background where education is important. Not everyone is college material.
CutieCrab
by Jen on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I did... I even graduated with high honors... Didn't go anywhere for me... :-/ I just ended up with a crazy loan I have to pay back.. Now im scared to try again...
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

i didnt want to at first.

it's really not that far fetched

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)