Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Punishments during holidays?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies

My 9 year old son got punished and because of his actions he got grounded for 1 week to his bedroom, no TV and No Video games....I was telling my mom this and she got pissed and now said she is not coming for thanksgiving because she won't get to see him and it is not right to punish on a holiday....I told her she could still see him she could go visit him in his room and enjoy dinner with him at the table..Plus we have two other kids that she can all so spend time with...

What he did could cause DH to get in big trouble and this is the second time he has done it even though he knowws how much trouble he could get his father in...

Do you think it is wrong to punish during the holidays? Are we wrong for sticking to the punishment even on Thansgiving? I don't feel we are and honestly I think his punishment wasn't even enough if we were spankers I would have given him a good spanking!!!

****EDIT*****Some of you might remember some of my other posts regarding my neighbor causing massive amounts of damage to my property....stealing my fence, putting a temp restraining order on DH (2 days after she stole my fence and we pressed charges)  she got the order based on lies and we are still dealing with court because of it....I all so wrote a post a couple of months ago that my 9 year old was yelling out his window at her saying stupid stuff like "hey lady" " what are you doing" and a few other things....we were downstairs making dinner at the time and didn't know he was doing it (until we walked in to the hallway and check on the kids)...that got my DH a violatioin and we now have to deal with criminal court blah blah blah...

.well This sunday while DH, my oldest son (13) and my 9 year old were out back splitting wood, stacking wood, and unloading wood from DH's truck my 9 year old happen to see her come outside and instead of keeping his mouth shut he yelled out to her (now remember this is the second time)...that can cause DH to get another violation and go to jail...DS know this and is very well aware because after the last incident we explained everything to him, grounded him from going outside alone, tv and video games, had to write an apology letter to DH, the courts and to her(gave it to her lawyer)...He knows what can happen by saying anything to this women....and he choose once again to do something that can destroy our whole family..If DH goes to Jail because DScausing DH to get a violation DH looses his job, we end up homeless because I can't afford this house on our own...I am a SAHM to a disabled 6 year old

So anyways that is the short version

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids get punished no matter what day of the year it is. Hell my oldest got grounded from her Kindle on her birthday this year.lol

Carson Lenox

pregnancy week by week

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Thank you, that just makes me feel even stronger about my choice to continue the groundation right through the holiday :)

Quoting Mazie0723:

My kids get punished no matter what day of the year it is. Hell my oldest got grounded from her Kindle on her birthday this year.lol

coleysmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't mess with family holidays. They are just too important to me. Punishment would resume after Thanksgiving with the day lost added onto the end.
fitnessdanielle
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

This. They aren't little forever.. I wouldn't want my child to remember being grounded on such a big holiday. Make memories on Thanksgiving, and extend the punishment if you need to.

Quoting coleysmama:

I don't mess with family holidays. They are just too important to me. Punishment would resume after Thanksgiving with the day lost added onto the end.

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

If a child is going to be grounded or punished, it should happen regardless of holidays. 

I didnt do the "grounded to their room for a week" thing though. I did grounding, but more like...they couldnt go anywhere other than school, no phone, no computer, etc. 

mamom01
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Bad behavior doesn't take a day off because it's a holiday so neither should the punishment.

Your mom needs to put her big girl panties on.  It's none of her business.

angevil53
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I think your mom is throwing a hissy fit to get her grandkid out of trouble.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Misheldonann
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM
This!

Quoting fitnessdanielle:

This. They aren't little forever.. I wouldn't want my child to remember being grounded on such a big holiday. Make memories on Thanksgiving, and extend the punishment if you need to.

Quoting coleysmama:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
semamaearth
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Punishment doesn't take a holiday, IMO. they're still welcome to spend time with us but if they had tv or games taken away, well, that doesn't change.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

No, our rules remain the same as well as the consequences. We don't take a holiday away but restriction is rarely lifted.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)