Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you want to know what time of day you're going to die?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

Gene Discovered That Predicts Time of Death (But Do We Really Want to Know?)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on November 19, 2012 

alarm clock Early to bed, early to rise, early to ... die?! Well, maybe. While conducting research on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's patients over the age of 65, scientists made a sort of accidental discovery: Subjects who tended to be "early-risers" also tended to die just before 11 a.m.; "late-risers," on the other hand, tended to die just before 6 p.m. Coincidence? Nope. Apparently the same gene responsible for making people either early birds or night owls can also predict time of death. Um, creepy much?!

I guess this shouldn't come as any big surprise. As the lead researcher puts it, "The internal 'biological clock' regulates many aspects of human biology and behavior." But in this case, at least, is our clock telling us more than we need to know?

It's just that, collectively speaking, we're all a big bunch of control freaks these days. And of course a bit of control freakiness is okay, but when you combine our current state of control freakiness with our current, skyrocketing stress levels and rampant anxiety disorders and obsessive compulsive issues, I just don't know if we need any more fuel for the control freaky fire. It's one thing to plan your wedding to the Nth degree, but your death? That can't be healthy. At some point we're all gonna have to learn how to let go, right? 

(I'm pretty sure, traditionally, that "some point" is death.)

I mean, it's great that the researchers think their findings will "determine when patients should be monitored most closely and when they should take medication." So I'm not saying there's nothing useful about this new info. I'm just saying maybe hold off on making any exact calculations, you know?

Do you want to know what time of day you're going to die?

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mlg1989
Watashi wa anata o aishite Mugiwara Kaizokuban <3
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
by ZombieMegg on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I don't see how... you mean people who die of natural causes? I can't imagine how a gene would know you would die randomly in a car accident at a certain time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What about people who die in the middle of the night?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I had a dream I died at 12:44pm. Idk what date or how but in the dream I died and that's the time they said. still scares me and I had this dream as a kid.
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Nope I am so okay not knowing

km1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

no....but I will say, this is a little freaky. Both my mom and dad were early risers and died before 11 am.

tarakay0417
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Seen this on the news yesterday. I guess I will die around dinner time. I like to sleep in when I can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
No thanks, you cannot predict your time of death.
Momma3830
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
No! Unless I can change what's going to happen & prevent dying. But then you deal with the whole butterfly effect like Ashton Kutcher & that in itself is just crazy. 0_o Right???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)