Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I want to buy a turkey breast, DH wants a whole friggin turkey

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

Thanksgiving is just going to be me, DH, and our five year old DS. I want to buy a turkey breast because I think a whole 15 lb turkey is far too much for just three people. Plus I am making other things and I think it would be easier to just get a breast. Also we're tight on money. DH doesn't want to budge. How can I make him see that it would be easier on me and cheaper to buy a breast?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommytorn
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Maybe get one of the little 7-9lb turkeys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scperdomo
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Buy a smaller whole turkey? Sorry, I'm no help, but here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM
A smaller turkey would sufice and tastes much better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

we have always bought a turkey even when it was just a four of us...we had pleny of left over for turkey sanwiches :)

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

It's actually probably cheaper to buy the whole turkey. Just the breast is usually more per pound. I've thought the same thing every year, just going to buy a breast but it costs more. We did find a 10 lb turkey this year though.

JLS2388
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell him this is what you are willing to cook, if he wants something different then he can cook it. You are right, why spend that much on a turkey for 3 people?

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM
A turkey breast is going to cost much more than a whole turkey. I got a 10 lb turkey for $10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leavinglasvegas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I don't know - pound for pound, the turkey is cheaper than just a breast and would be enough food for 3 days instead of just one meal. You'd have to turn the oven on either way. Why not just get the whole turkey. I will say that the cheapest are frozen turkeys (locally here $1.89 lbs, breast only is $1.99 lbs). But a frozen turkey might not thaw out between now and Thanksgiving morning.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

They have smaller turkeys.  However for 3 people I think a turkey breast is sufficient.  IMO i'd make the turkey breast and tell him to eat either eat it or not..  Lol

rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I would go with a smaller whole turkey. In all honesty, a 10-12 lb turkey doesn't have a ton of meat on it so it will give you leftovers but not a ton. We are only expecting mil (at best) plus ourselves (me, dh, and our girls who are 3 and 1). We got a 12 lb turkey.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)