Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this ok for a soldier to do?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM
That's exactly who I thought he was talkin about

Quoting Retrokitty:

Unless he's talking about westboro church it seems kind of meanish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Technically, it does.  There ARE things he is not allowed to say/do as a soldier.  BUT, this particular message probably wouldn't result in any trouble.  POSSIBLY a verbal counseling on what is/is not appropriate to say on such public forums.  Soldiers do need to be a bit more careful, though.  Some things misinterpretted CAN get them in trouble.

Quoting Mommytorn:

Being a soldier doesn't remove his freedom of speech..he can say whatever he wants

Mommytorn
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM
True but I thought that was only stuff about their command or the president..I'm not AD so I really don't know the rules on that

Quoting Anonymous:

Technically, it does.  There ARE things he is not allowed to say/do as a soldier.  BUT, this particular message probably wouldn't result in any trouble.  POSSIBLY a verbal counseling on what is/is not appropriate to say on such public forums.  Soldiers do need to be a bit more careful, though.  Some things misinterpretted CAN get them in trouble.

Quoting Mommytorn:

Being a soldier doesn't remove his freedom of speech..he can say whatever he wants

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama2be
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I believe he has every right to say it. And I wonder if this has to do with the news story about the woman flipping off dead vets, while her job was to work with vets. I don't blame him for being so disgusted that the military puts their life on the line so these people can continue to disrespect the very force protecting them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

It is very open to interpretation.  Basically, if it can come off as treasonous or cast the military in a bad light, they can get in trouble.  Comments about the command and president are big ones, but it isn't restricted to just those.  There are some "catch all" phrases in the UCMJ just in case.  It's best to just be mindful of what you say to who.

Quoting Mommytorn:

True but I thought that was only stuff about their command or the president..I'm not AD so I really don't know the rules on that

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommytorn:

Mommytorn
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Makes sense

Quoting Anonymous:

It is very open to interpretation.  Basically, if it can come off as treasonous or cast the military in a bad light, they can get in trouble.  Comments about the command and president are big ones, but it isn't restricted to just those.  There are some "catch all" phrases in the UCMJ just in case.  It's best to just be mindful of what you say to who.

Quoting Mommytorn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommytorn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-ZombieGirl-
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM
He actually can get in trouble for that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm AD, this would not get him "trouble". Should he say it on facebook? Probably not, just looks bad. If his leadership catches wind, he will be probably be verbally counselled and advised against it. Similar things to this has been used as examples in our briefings about facebook, twitter, and such. It really is no different than saying if you wont stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Quoting Mommytorn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommytorn:

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

probably not.. but I understand why he feels that way

Mommytorn
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Hey I kinda like that quote lol I do agree with it though..it takes a lot to do what our military men and women do and if you can't support them maybe you should try walking in their shoes!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm AD, this would not get him "trouble". Should he say it on facebook? Probably not, just looks bad. If his leadership catches wind, he will be probably be verbally counselled and advised against it. Similar things to this has been used as examples in our briefings about facebook, twitter, and such. It really is no different than saying if you wont stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Quoting Mommytorn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommytorn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)